Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone Replacement Time: Suggestions Anyone? (Read 3651 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone Replacement Time: Suggestions Anyone?

Hi All,

Last night, my cat decided to have a snack on the chord of my Sennheiser CX-500B IEMs.  Left earbud cut out while listening and then I realized the little furball had snuck under the blanket and started chewing on the chord...

Anyways, searched around on Amazon and found the same pair for $30, but I wanted to double check if there are any new brands or models that could be a better choice.

I'm looking to spend under $100 (would prefer $50 or less) for a new set of IEMs. 

Basic features I look for:

- Balanced/accurate sound; no bloated bass or treble.
- Comfortable and good for daily use; able to wear them for several hours with no discomfort and the buds need to be easy to take out and put back in.  I have the Shure e4c's and the foam fitted tips make it too difficult to insert and remove them for daily usage.
- Strong/durable chord; cat proof would be a bonus!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
JXL

Reply #1
If your cat sucked, you wouldn't have a problem.

Reply #2
Thanks for your response...  The cat is 4 months old and was curious.  She also ate through an iPod charging cable and my wifes cell phone cable too.  All of which were plugged in at the time.  She's lucky she didn't get electrocuted...

And I think I'm allowed to show a little displeasure with my own pet for doing something like that.

Did you have any suggestions?
JXL

Reply #3
I'm looking to spend under $100 (would prefer $50 or less) for a new set of IEMs. 

Basic features I look for:

- Comfortable and good for daily use; able to wear them for several hours with no discomfort and the buds need to be easy to take out and put back in.  I have the Shure e4c's and the foam fitted tips make it too difficult to insert and remove them for daily usage.
- Strong/durable chord; cat proof would be a bonus!

I think you'd better go for earbuds instead of IEMs.
I use daily a pair of AKG K311 or K318 (this one has integrated mic and remote control for iPhone) while at work, for many long hours and they are very comfortable to wear. At moderate listening level you can even forget them: a couple of times I've tried to answer the phone, I mean the wired one, with them on!  but normally I take them out and then on again with ease, which would instead be a real pain if they were IEMs, as their in ear positioning is very critical for accurate sealing and sound quality. Of course isolation from ambient noise is weaker than typical IEMs, so that I can even speak with colleagues without taking them out, just lowering the volume or stopping the player.

About sound quality: I listen mainly to classical and, subjectively speaking I'm very satisfied by these AKG's, very well balanced, no bass boom or ear piercing treble, even at "realistic" volume level. Good tonal rendition of a wide range of instruments, orchestra and voices.

They are also very cheap, about 15 euro for the K311 here in Italy: for the price, you can just buy two sets, one for you and... one for your cat! 
... I live by long distance.

Reply #4
Audéo Perfect Bass. They are on your upper limit, but they are the best and most robust IEMs you can get for about $100.

Reply #5
I was considering getting some good ear buds.  I was thinking of using them as a backup set though.

I like having the noise cancellation that IEMs provide for noisy environments or when I just want to shut out any outside noise and really focus on the music.  Ear buds can't really do that, but are great for other uses.

I was taking a look at the Audéo line of IEMs, but as I had no prior knowledge or experience with them, I didn't give them much considerations.  I'll go and take another look now.

Thanks and please keep them coming.
JXL

Reply #6
Sorry, JunkieXL, I wasn't meaning to be irritating--just a little joke that your cat was actually biting, rather than sucking. I got given an iMac because the owner's kittens had chewed through the mouse cords.

I, too, like earbuds rather than IEMs for casual listening. I've got a pair of Sennheiser MX580s which seem pretty good, and comfortable, though my hearing isn't the sharpest. I was at first put off by the thought of extra bass, but then realised that quality of fit is probably a major factor in SQ of earbuds, and bass seems to be the first to go, so a bit extra probably isn't too bad.

Reply #7

For accurate sound I totally love my Etymotic HF5, totally immerses you in the music. Comfort is an issue for some people but some rectify this by using Klipsch or Sony silicone tips, Etymotic also gives you the option of ultrasoft custom molded tips by partnered audiologist for only $100 which is a good deal should you go down that path.

As for robustnes, well, I believe your cat's the problem here 

Reply #8
Thanks again for the replies guys.

I think I am one lucky SOB today...  I had mentioned what happened to my headphones to a coworker and discussed the headhones I was thinking about getting.  She went and used her American Express credit points to purchase them for me. How cool is that?

I ended up getting the Phiaton PS 200 IEM's.  I was really impressed with the brand after reading some reviews and researching the company a bit. 

The PS 210 (ear bud/IEM hybrid) also had me very interested as it offered the ease of ear buds but also has some noise isolation.

Since I got the IEM's I will also probably purchase a set of Sennheiser earbuds; thanks for the suggestions about the MX580s.  I'm thinking of getting the MX581 or MX471 (no volume slider).  They are the womans version (not sure why they need seperate headphones?) but from what I've read, the woman's version has a more durable and less adhesive cable (less tangles and getting stuck to clothes) and a cooler more modern design than the MX580 or MX470.
Thanks again!
JXL

Reply #9
@JunkieXL
Since you are planning to get earbuds , I'll second the Nessuno akg recommendations. I  have the k317, which is same as k319 without volume control, and I  love them (my most rewarding buy for a little price) . Otherwise the Yuin are the most popular earbuds at head-fi.