Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC/M4A command line tagger (Read 10745 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC/M4A command line tagger

I saw tg.exe but it seems like it has int'l problems, and doesn't support binary fields (COMPILATION, etc)

Does anyone know if this exists somewhere?

+Reardon

Reply #2
Foobar2000
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342623"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're kidding, right? 

One, it's hilariously overkill.  Two, commandline TAGGER??  Three, foobar screws any tag it doesn't understand... compilation, cover art, etc.  Very frustrating, and it appears like 0.9 won't address, despite many requests from many users for foobar to at least leave other tags (notably those *standard* tags used by iTunes).

Reply #3
I found this thread on Google and have the same question.  I know about atomic parsley, but just wondering if there are any others.

Reply #4
I found this thread on Google and have the same question.  I know about atomic parsley, but just wondering if there are any others.

I disagree strongly with the approach AP uses...it squashes free space, so tag writing is painfully slow.  If these people knew how much more space was being wasted at the filesystem level due to overhead and cluster glut, they'd probably try to rewrite the filesystem to save another 0.5%.  Sigh.

I am taking to use the tool in the MP4Tools package at Rarewares.

+Reardon

Reply #5
AP is 'painfully slow'?
Have you actually tried using it?

Reply #6
AP is 'painfully slow'?
Have you actually tried using it?

Um, well, yes, rewriting every file from scratach just to create a tag is painfully slow.  I don't buy into the strategy.

Also, unfortunately, I can't get it working with UTF8 tags.  I have used both the Win32 version and the two Cygwin versions.  I can't get the Cygwin-UTF8 version to write non-ASCII (7bit) tags properly.  iTunes and other apps do not recognize any characters beyond ASCII.

I personally don't have much need of UTF8, probably only about 3-5% of my music needs, it's mostly just the classical stuff.  But it's important enough.

It hasn't been updated since early Feb.  Anyone know if there is active development.  I may be able to descend into it and get the Win32 version properly supporting UTF8.

+Reardon

Reply #8
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=514419

utf8 support.

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/ato.../atomicparsley/

should show you that there has been activity since Feb.

Ok, I just played with it.  It's broken for UTF8, look at my post on that forum.  Also, requiring codepage 65000 is wrong, he should just accept the chars as they come in.  It's up to the script writer or user to switch to 1252 or 65001 or whatever if they need to enter those characters.  But that doesn't effect display, and further should not affect input if characters are available in the chosen codepage.  That said, staying in 65001 is the safest.  In any case the app itself shouldn't care, rather it just affects the way CMD.EXE interacts (for passing in params and redirection).

+Reardon

Reply #9
Ok, I just played with it.  It's broken for UTF8, look at my post on that forum.  Also, requiring codepage 65000 is wrong, he should just accept the chars as they come in.  It's up to the script writer or user to switch to 1252 or 65001 or whatever if they need to enter those characters.  But that doesn't effect display, and further should not affect input if characters are available in the chosen codepage.  That said, staying in 65001 is the safest.  In any case the app itself shouldn't care, rather it just affects the way CMD.EXE interacts (for passing in params and redirection).

+Reardon

For anyone following, this tool has been updated for Win32, see the links above.

Reply #10
For anyone following, this tool has been updated for Win32, see the links above.

haven't checked, but latest version allways errorlevels to 1, instead of 0.

Reply #11
I just grabbed the Nero Digital Audio pack again, and found neroAacTag.exe inside. Perhaps this may be of some help.