Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVD-R Drive (Read 2586 times) previous topic - next topic

DVD-R Drive

Well after archiving my entire cd collection i think my plextor is about on its last leg and its getting time to replace it. My liteon dvd-rom passed on earlier this year from similar abuse so i am considering killing multiple birds with one stone and getting a dvd-r drive. I know that now is probably not the greatest time to buy one but my logic is i have uses for it now, plus i would have to buy a CD-R and a separate dvd-rom drive anyway so cost is really a moot point.

In my limited research into these drives a month or so ago, i had my eye on either a pioneer or a toshiba drive. I found i could get them OEM for around $180. I was interested in the sony drive that could do both dvd+/-R but its a bit expensive, and i really dont see the point in buying a DVD+R drive since i have only seen one standalone dvd player model that supported it.

Obviously accurate ripping would be a nice feature but im resigned to the fact i may have to get a seperate drive for archiving. Does anyone have any suggestions about what are the higher quality drives out there right now? Also ive secured myself a copy of dvd-x-copy and i was wondering if people have been having good experiences with this software. Thanks.

DVD-R Drive

Reply #1
I just recently bought the Sony one. I have burned many DVD+R and +RW and they have worked on every DVD player I have tried. Save 1. The notorious Samsung 709. The Marix hater. The thing was a $179 POS. DVD+RW is more compatable with set top DVD players than DVD-RW but not by much. And DVD-R is more compatable with set top DVD than DVD+R but not by much. In the end the discs you write on either one will play the same places. Noteable exceptions are older PS2s that will not read DVD+R/RW and the Xbox that is just well......... lets say it is just testy no matter what. Or so I hear. I was going to get the Plextor DVD+R. But for 50 bucks more I could get the Sony and be sure that whichever format survives I am covered. DVD+R is the superior format IMHO. But I just felt better with a little "BetaMax" insurance.

DVD-R Drive

Reply #2
You should try to get a Dual drive (+/-).  Right now you would believe that you do not need a + drive. But let me tell you that I have been monitoring the format wars for some time (I am about to buy my own), and even though - is the preferred format at the time, I think + will win in the long run. It has all the big money behind it (HP, Dell, Microsoft) so I think there's no question about it.
But, still, right now - media is cheaper, more available and more compatible, so you should go with a dual drive. And you never know, if, in the last minute, some big company starts supporting it.
Buy a dual drive, it is more expensive, alright, but in the long run, it wiil be worth it.

I recommend the NEC1300A (go to pricewatch.com)
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com