Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mozilla Firebird 0.7 Final is out! (Read 10451 times) previous topic - next topic

Mozilla Firebird 0.7 Final is out!

Reply #1
While it's great that the 0.7 final is being released, I have two remarks:

- ATM, only the source is available on that location. There are no binaries yet.
- Shouldn't this be posted in the off-topic forum instead ?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #2
Binaries are available, check carefully. I posted it here because some ppl might miss it if they don't visit off-topic... oh well. 

Reply #3
Binaries are available, check carefully. I posted it here because some ppl might miss it if they don't visit off-topic... oh well. 

Hmmm... that's strange. I checked the FTP site immediately after I read your post, and at that time only the file "MozillaFirebird-source-0.7.tar.gz" was available.

Now I checked it again and I see all the usual binaries are also available. Maybe it's a proxy issue.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know. I'm downloading it right now...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
They just updated their website! Mozilla 1.5 is out as well! B)

Reply #5
I've been testing the 0.7 branch nightlies for the past days and Firebird really has become an incredibly stable and fast browser.
I'll probably just continue using trunk nightlies from now on.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #6
Mozilla 1.5: Win Installer / Win ZIP

Firebird 0.7: Win ZIP

Thunderbird 0.3: Win ZIP

Reply #8
Just give it a try. Some day it will replace the mozilla suite anyway.

Edit: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20031012 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim

Reply #9
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20031013 Firebird/0.7+ (aebrahim)
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

Reply #10
I am currently using Mozilla 1.5 and I was wondering if I should switch to FireBird. Does FireBird actually have any advantages vis-à-vis Mozilla?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/compare/

I can't think of anything substantial. But I'm not a Firebird user anyway.

Just give it a try. Some day it will replace the mozilla suite anyway.

I don't think that will happen. They might seperate Browser and Mail-client, they will incorporate some features from Firebird, but I can't see them adopt Firebird-made "power user" inconsistencies.

Reply #11
I really like the 'add engines' feature in the search bar. You can know just type in an album and it connects to gracenote or allmusic.com and Bang! theres your info.

Just makes me weep for the folks who still struggle along with internet explorer

Reply #12
See the Moz Roadmap.

FB (more than likely) will become Mozilla, with functionality added thru extensions.

The only deficiencies I see in FB currently...

1) Lack of a formal FTP upload mechanism (either dialog based or Drag-N-Drop)
2) When writing a post in say the HA composition window, then clicking somewhere in the body of text, FB forgets the cursor position (say I want to make deficiencies italic) and places the html tags at the very end of the text body. This is very irritating (IE does this flawlessly).
3) Java JRE installation can be problematic at times.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #13
mozillazine is down for over an hour now, it seems.

Since mozilla.org has a direct-link to mozillazine and they have today been slashdotted, it could be that mozillazine got bogged down by the hordes(mozillazine forums are THE place to get CPU-optimized builds). The firebird support site at texturizer also appears to be insanely slow(its the place to get extensions, FAQs, modification-how-to's etc).

But this is just an asumption, may be wrong.

- Lyx

EDIT: IMHO, firebird is THE browser for the power-user. It's philosophy is to come as lightweight and un-bloated as possible out-of-the-box, but a vast amount of features can be added by over 100 available extensions/plugins(mouse-gestures, web-developer-tools, pie-menus, RSS-Feeds, etc. etc.). Firebird is the "modular-browser" which can be customized in lots of ways to fit your needs.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #14
Is there a program for exploring the cashe of Firebird?
(not simply opening the folder)

Reply #15
Is there a program for exploring the cashe of Firebird?
(not simply opening the folder)

i think maybe this is what you want, tell your browser to goto url

about:cache?device=disk

or just about:cache for choice of memory / disk cache

Reply #16
The MozillaZine Forums are currently offline due to bandwidth issues. They will return soon hopefully.

seems like they have been indeed slashdotted :-(

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #17
seems like they have been indeed slashdotted :-(

Hmm and they didn't expect this to happen as part of their simultaneous release plan? 

I'm running the 0.7 official release. I'm going to try to stay away from TBE for a while since it seems to be the only thing causing Firebird to be unstable lately. Now if I could only get single window mode to work without it..

Reply #18
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031015 Firebird/0.7 (aebrahim)

Reply #19
Gnerma...

The optimized builds do seem to run faster as the Officials are meant to run on anything.

You may want to check them out here

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #20
The optimized builds do seem to run faster as the Officials are meant to run on anything.

Thanks Xenno. Mozillazine is back up so I grabbed an Athlon XP build from this thread.

Now to wait for a TB v0.3 AXP build 

Reply #21
I just got the AthXP opt. build!!! Its incredibly faster than 0.61 non-opt!! I love it already and i've just played with it for 5 minutes!!!

Reply #22
slightly off-topic (but thats ok this thread is off-topic to begin with let the parties begin!):
I was browsing Mozilla Forums and the people abreviate Mozilla Firebird as FB! If there was no 2k (short for 2000) at the end of FB (the abreviation for Foobar), this forum would be WWIII!

Reply #23
might give  the new firebird a try, but will most likely stick with opera 6.06 and 7.20 as my primary choices still. I do have phoenix 0.4 and FB 0.6.1 unzipped on this system but they get no use currently.

Reply #24
Win32 installers using NSIS and 7-Zip are now available here. The size is 4.30MB for Firebird 0.7 and 5.18MB for Thunderbird 0.3.