Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging When Encoding Oggs W/ Eac (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging When Encoding Oggs W/ Eac

I use EAC to encode OGGs from CD.
I'm wondering why there is no Tags should be added in the OGG files which were encoded w/ EAC - I choose "OGG encoder" in "Parameter Passing Scheme" and add "-q 7" in "command lind options" in the page of "Extenal Compression' in EAC (Pressing F11).

Therefore, I would like to know how could I tag OGGs w/ EAC when they are encoded? And is there any good mass/mutliple tagger for ogg?

Reply #1
Hmm, the newest versions of EAC have support for Ogg quality settings built in -- there's no need to put "-q7" on the Additional Options line (unless you want a non-integral quality level).  In addition, when the compression tab is set to Ogg Vorbis Encoder, EAC should be tagging your files automagically.  At the very least, this is the behaviour I'm seeing on my PC.

Just make sure that "Add ID3 Tag" is unchecked, because then EAC will try to add ID3 tags to the .ogg files.  You don't want that -- bad things will happen to you -- the omnipotent eye of Xiph shall strike thee down mercilessly. 

As far as mass taggers go...  WinVorbis is one I've only heard of, but never used.  I like keepingVorbisExt installed, but it's not a batch tagger.

Tag is also rather popular.  If you prefer GUIs, grab Speek's Frontend.

Reply #3
Just make sure that "Add ID3 Tag" is unchecked, because then EAC will try to add ID3 tags to the .ogg files. You don't want that -- bad things will happen to you -- the omnipotent eye of Xiph shall strike thee down mercilessly.I Din't know this. Thanks for the tip.

Reply #4
Check "Use external program for compression", set parameter passing scheme to "User defined Encoder", file extension to .ogg, point to oggenc.exe and write about the following line into additional command line options:
-q 7 %s %d --c "comment=write your comment here" -d "%y" -N "%n" -t "%t" -l "%g" -a "%a" -G "%m"

This should do it.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #5
sorry my mistake

Reply #6
Check "Use external program for compression", set parameter passing scheme to "User defined Encoder", file extension to .ogg, point to oggenc.exe and write about the following line into additional command line options:
-q 7 %s %d --c "comment=write your comment here" -d "%y" -N "%n" -t "%t" -l "%g" -a "%a" -G "%m"

This should do it.

I am experimenting with this id3 tag stuff. Think i got the hang of it. I am testing some things if EAC adds a id3v2.4.

Can someone tell me where i can find a site with help on this program (i mean Exact Audio Copy)??

Thanks

Reply #7

Didn't work with me.
So instead i tried something else.

With EAC i went to compression options (external compression) i checked "add ID3tag". The i went to the tab ID3 Tag and cecked " Use ID3v1.1 instead of ID3V1.0 tags". In the construction of filenames from ID3tags i filled in "%A - %N - %T - %L - %I" and i got a perfect ID3 tag.

Hope this'll work for you as much as it for me.

Good Luck

guru

Reply #8
It works perfectly for me. What kind of error do you get? Also, AFAIK ogg files with an ID3-tag are kind of incorrect since they use their own tagging method.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #9
Tri:

I didn't get any error msg. But EAC made a nice wav file that was not decoded to an ogg. I don't really know what went wrong and did not look for any solution to it.

But what do you mean with kinda wrong on ID3 tags on ogg??
I thought that al mp3's AND ogg had a ID3 tag.

greets

guru

Reply #10
guru:

But what do you mean with kinda wrong on ID3 tags on ogg??
I thought that al mp3's AND ogg had a ID3 tag.

Not quite.  They both have a tag, yes. But they have their own tagging systems - MP3 has ID3v1 which is written to the end of the file, and ID3v2 which is written to the beginning after the file; Vorbis has VorbisComments. (MPC has APEv2, and so on.) Adding an ID3 tag to an Oggie may "break" the file. You *must* de-activate the "Add ID3 tag" checkbox in EAC (it shouldn't be there in the first place when using the Vorbis encoder profile).

I don't understand your problems with Vorbis tagging through EAC - it works fine for me, I use the "Ogg Vorbis encoder" profile.

Reply #11
.sig

Reply #12
I agree. I use the inbuilt 'ogg vorbis encoder' profile a lot and have no problems at all.
Just make sure in the 'bitrate' selection box, you choose a quality rating, not a fixed bitrate (unless you actually want ABR, in which case go for it, but generally Qual is the way to go).

Make sure ID3, id3v2, etc etc are all unchecked. Otherwise software will have a tendency to freak out (and rightly so; ID3 does not belong on ogg files).

gnoshi

(I realise this has all been said before, but just reiterating it)
happiness comes in brown paper bags.

Reply #13
I happen to use the "user defined" method for encoding OGG with EAC, and use the commandline options:
%s -q 8 -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -c "comment=EAC+OGG=q8" -G "%m" -d %y -N %n

... but I did notice EAC will only write its hard-coded genres into the genre field ... i.e., no user defined genres are possible .. e.g., "Jazz Vocal"

cheerios ... shAf 
[span style=\'font-family:Geneva\'][span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'][span style=\'color:blue\']Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
micro-investigations.com [/span] [/span] [/span]

Reply #14
Here's mine....

%s -q 8 -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -c "comment=EAC: v1 ogg @ q8" -G "%m" -d %y -N %n

and my Lame....

--alt-preset standard --id3v2-only --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty %y --tc "EAC: Lame 3.92 @ alt pre std" --tn %n --tg "%m" %s %d

Xenno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #15
-q 6 -t "%t" -a "%a" -l "%g" -N %n -d %y -G "%m" -c "quality=6" -c "ripper=Exact Audio Copy" -c "codec=1.0" %s -o %d

Thats what I use, I've been playing around with EAC like encoding to FLAC and stuff, so that was the one I pasted elsewhere to save. It should work, but the -q 6 isn't nessecary, just make sure "Quality" is set to 6 as well.  I really wish programs like CDex and EAC would save your settings, so you could have like "encoding profiles". Like I setup a program for MPC, Vorbis, FLAC, MP3, and APE. Then I just choose the encoder I want and not have to re-enter settings. CDex might do soemthing similar to this, but I haven't found a way to do it in EAC w/ the commandline encoders.

some day I might attempt to write my own ripper/encoder that does it exactly how I want it.

Reply #16
> EAC would save your settings, so you could have like "encoding profiles"

It does (v9b4). I have profiles for MP3, Ogg, and Ape.

In EAC go to EAC>Profiles>Save Profiles and give your profile a unique name. See the combobox at the bottom of the frame? That's one way of selecting different ones. After saving that profile select "No Profile Selected" in the combobox, now modify your options and do the save as mentioned before. See the New and Delete buttons next to it....all for manipulating profiles. It's that easy!

Xenno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus