Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback problem with High Definition files (Read 5468 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback problem with High Definition files

Hi everyone,

it's my first post here, so sorry if I write something stupid. I just bought today a pair of Focal CMS 40 with a Motu Microbook 2 card in order to upgrade my playback experience in HD. I have downloaded many tracks from HDTracks.com and I wanted to achiece the best audio quality possible. I am using Windows Media Player as playback software (with codecs, enhancements etc.) but I see no diffirence in sound quality. Do I have to change something in Motu's software CueMix??? Or maybe the control panel of Windows??? Even the playback software?? I just spent 820 euros and I am starting to worry.

Reply #1
Check the audio format settings given on Windows playback device advanced properties. You can select the MOTU as default output device for WMP (Tools->Options->Devices->Speakers).

I would switch to an audio player software which supports WASAPI exclusive mode (or ASIO). 

Reply #2
Check the audio format settings given on Windows playback device advanced properties. You can select the MOTU as default output device for WMP (Tools->Options->Devices->Speakers).

I would switch to an audio player software which supports WASAPI exclusive mode (or ASIO).

Thanks for your advice. I changed it and I can't say that I see many changes. Any player suggestions with the specs you provided???

Reply #3
Hi everyone,

it's my first post here, so sorry if I write something stupid. I just bought today a pair of Focal CMS 40 with a Motu Microbook 2 card in order to upgrade my playback experience in HD. I have downloaded many tracks from HDTracks.com and I wanted to achiece the best audio quality possible. I am using Windows Media Player as playback software (with codecs, enhancements etc.) but I see no diffirence in sound quality. Do I have to change something in Motu's software CueMix??? Or maybe the control panel of Windows??? Even the playback software?? I just spent 820 euros and I am starting to worry.

I'm not clear what the problem is. Do the audio files play incorrectly eg with stuttering or digital noise? Or are you saying that they don't sound as good as you think they should?

Tim

Reply #4
I'm not clear what the problem is. Do the audio files play incorrectly eg with stuttering or digital noise? Or are you saying that they don't sound as good as you think they should?

Tim

I have the same albums both in 16bit and 24bit in FLAC format but when I play them, I hear the same thing. The 24bit versions I bought them from HDtracks.com so there's no doubt about their authenticity. Sometimes I also hear "clicks" during playback even when playing the 16bit versions but I suppose that my PC is a piece of... (you know what).

Reply #5

Tim

I have the same albums both in 16bit and 24bit in FLAC format but when I play them, I hear the same thing.

I doubt that very many regular posters here would be surprised by that or find it to be a reason for concern.

Please read this:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Reply #6
Who told you that 24 bit would sound different than 16 bit?

Edit: Arnie was faster.

Reply #7

Which actually means that HDtracks sells crap stuff and I spent 820 euros for nothing???

Reply #8
yes

Reply #9

Which actually means that HDtracks sells crap stuff and I spent 820 euros for nothing???

Not necessarily ... if you bought 24-bit/44.1kHz tracks from them then you just thought the higher bit-resolution makes difference ... on their site they say "HDtracks file is a one to one exact digital copy of the master tape" ... if you bought say 24-bit/96kHz files from them then, maybe your speakers or your hearing is the weak link to not hear any difference between CD quality and HD quality copy. Try compare with good headphones.

Reply #10

Well hopefully you wanted the music to listen to. If you just bought it because it was 24 bit then that was a waste of money.

Reply #11
on their site they say "HDtracks file is a one to one exact digital copy of the master tape" ...

And they have of course been caught a number of times selling resamples/upsamples.

if you bought say 24-bit/96kHz files from them then, maybe your speakers or your hearing is the weak link to not hear any difference between CD quality and HD quality copy. Try compare with good headphones.

Are you implying there is an audible difference between otherwise identical 96 kHz and 44.1 kHz sample rate tracks? If so, what would cause the audible difference?

Reply #12

No it means that you believed the hype that hi-res files will sound better than CD quality