Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Diet MP3 (Read 14924 times) previous topic - next topic

Diet MP3

Looks like pretty piece of BS but maybe somebody will be interested:

http://www.eniacjia.com/dietmp3/dietmp3-overview.asp

EDIT: I know this is not maybe the most suitable place for software like this, but somebody may be pleased 

Diet MP3

Reply #1
It is absolutely [span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']APPAULING[/span].  One of the worst pieces of software ever.

Honestly.  It asks you what quality do you want (CD through to Phone or something) and then transcodes to... I think 96k for CD, using some God Awful Encoder

ARRRGH   

And this is what really kills me... Check out the reviews on Download.com -- most people are going "Great - I cant tell the difference between the MP3's and it saves space" --  What the F*ck is wrong with you?  AGRHRGHR

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: Sorry, I went ballistic!  But I feel strongly about this.[/span]

Diet MP3

Reply #2
Uh, sorry...  :'( I didn't mean anything harmful, just found a link to it on some Czech web  (w00t)

Diet MP3

Reply #4
Hi-Fi geeks may not like DietMP3, but it is Hi-Funs. Why not get it and enjoy it now?
lmao    (you hi-fi geek you)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Diet MP3

Reply #5
Budige
Uh, sorry...  I didn't mean anything harmful, just found a link to it on some Czech web

Don't be sorry! It's always good to know about weird programs like that. That doesn't mean you have to use them, just be aware that they exist and advise people to keep away from them if someone asks.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Diet MP3

Reply #6
You're very kind, but I feel like an idiot  Too often I read here inquiries about "bitrate peeling" possibility and when I saw link on this piece of sh**t without close look I threw it onto the forum... I had to arrange something urgent, so I didn't bother... 

Diet MP3

Reply #7
just be aware that they exist and advise people to keep away from them if someone asks.

--what, like I did? 

Diet MP3

Reply #8
OMFG

This is even worse than the authors of WAV to MP3 Encoder writing in their Readme file that "you can create higher quality copies of your existing MP3 files by decoding them with MP3 to WAV Decoder and then re-encoding them with WAV to MP3 Encoder at a higher bitrate".

This kind of stuff really makes me mad. They *know* they're wrong, and low enough to count on uninformed newbies wasting their money on them.

Diet MP3

Reply #9
This is really sad.
I just tried the trial.
I'm offended.
The "Slim MP3" sounds like a pile of unemployed garbage.
And the author even wants money for this software that does what many freeware progs can do.

I would call Diet MP3 an software of mass destruction, and Bush must act now to save decent soundquality.... okay - that wasn't funny.

Diet MP3

Reply #10
This kind of stuff really makes me mad. They *know* they're wrong, and low enough to count on uninformed newbies wasting their money on them.

Yep. I've written up FAQs for tons of sites on MP3(--alt presets, easyLAME, Ogg Vorbis preaching, etc), and rippers(seeing someone go from MusicMatch to EAC is a great thing), and gotten tons of people informed. I hate it when I hear someone taking advantage, like packaging kazaa lite and gnucleus and winmx and a real shitty copy off of nero and charging $30 for it  . I hate more that most search engines make this CRAP show up first. ARRRRGH!

Diet MP3

Reply #11
slightly OT: take a look at the last picture on the homepage link provided above: could anybody explain to me what the term "potable player" actually means? it's spelled twice the same way, that's why i took notice.

thus, dietmp3 refers to a competitor of diet coke, right? any suggestions?

:-)

edit: and the use of the word "potable" continues throughout the homepage ... this is ridiculous ...