Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_playlist_organizer (aka foo_plorg) (Read 240443 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_playlist_organizer (aka foo_plorg)

Reply #300
I don't think you quite understand the purpose of each function.

I was sure of that

The Media Library is simply a folder-watcher. Its database is being constantly retrieved and listed by the different Library viewers (such as the Album list). The regular playlists are just lists of tracks that were meant to be created, modified and deleted on a regular basis and has nothing to do with your Media Library. (The only exception are Autoplaylists, which use the Media Library's database and a criteria to constantly update their hits.)

Ok. It is what I was thinking. Finally, the Media library is just a audio files browser. Currently, for each album I have its associated m3u playlist. I have done this because I have some devices (e.g. mobile phone) that only read m3u playlists and not directly audio files. It was much convenient for me to have the playlist with the audio files. My mobile phone, for instance, only display the playlists, including my extra playlists. Perfect for me.

I'd suggest introducing the ALBUM LIST tag to your library instead of relying on your *.m3u playlists. It would most likely solve all your problems with VA/Compilation/Best of etc. albums.

By ALBUM LIST, did you meant ALBUM ARTIST ? If so, I already added this tag to all of my files. From the tagging point of view, I followed the recommendations in order to have proper tags for the VA/Compile albums. I have no issue on this point.

You might have to update your Library viewer to handle the new tag, but it shouldn't be too hard. At any point, the wiki (especially the titleformatting part) and the search function on these forums should be able to answer most of your questions from here.

I am not sure to understand. I will still don't see my extra playlists, because only audio files are displayed via the Album list. And with the playlist organizer, I just can't open even my 500 playlists. Or maybe just open the 50 extra playlists, but it will be a shame that I will not have all my albums in the same view : original CDs in the Album list and my compile in the playlist organizer view.

May you suggest me to add the extra tag ALBUM LIST and set the Album List Views in order to display my files using the new tag. The extra "playlist" which will not be playlist anymore in this case. But is a single audio file can be displayed twice ? I am not sure to parse the ALBUM LIST value.

Or may you suggest that I duplicate audio files to create my own albums and tag with a proper ALBUM ARTIST tag in order to not mess with the original album. In this way, I can only use the Album list view. But it still a shame to duplicate audio files.

Thanks for your reply,
Bellator.

Reply #301
In short, no, you probably can't get something like a tree-based 'm3u playlist browser' per say.

The reason is quite simple: it does not make much sense to organize individual playlists linked to your files instead of the actual files themselves in your Media Library, at least as far as your PC goes. At any point however, you can export your 'internal' playlists (the ones you can see/edit in foobar) to external ones (*.m3u for example) which can be put on your phone. Note also that opening an external *.m3u playlist only imports the tracks to foobar's own format (*.fpl), leaving the original *.m3u file intact in my experience.

What I suggested was tagging the files within each of your 'special' playlists so foobar can distinguish between them without reliance on the actual *.m3u playlists. That would streamline browsing your Media Library in general and you could just recreate the *.m3u playlist at any time to accompany the files you put on your phone.

You might want to specify though what kind of 'special' playlists you have exactly. Most of them should be easily redeemed via proper tagging. For example an album with multiple artists on it should have an additional ALBUM ARTIST (and yes, ALBUM LIST was just a typo) tag with a value of 'Various Artists'. An official 'Best of...' compilation album from an 'Example' artist will simply have identical ARTIST(=Example) and ALBUM(=Best of...) fields among its tracks. If you want to retrieve your favorite songs from a certain artist in the future you can just set up a FAVORITE or RATING tag and so on.

For example I have a COLLECTION tag to distinguish between soundtracks of specific franchises/series easily. It is much more elegant this way in opinion and if I have to generate an external playlist to a portable device it only takes a few seconds to filter out the tracks I need to do so (I am using the Filter panel, which is just a different Library viewer):

Just a question by the way, does your phone support playing by directory structure? Because then you could just put each compilation into a separate folder (and foobar could do that for you automatically during the converting/copying process).

Reply #302
Ok. I got it. Finally it makes sense. The view can only deal with tag files. *.m3u playlists just do not have any tags. And the use of filter can easily show what we are looking for. Actually, it is exactly how I manage my photos.
Only the order of the songs could be an issue.

My phone supports folder structure. That's why I created a standard playlist for each of my album. But as you said, may I should "export" from foobar what I want to copy to my phone. Currently, I copy directly the files from the windows explorer.

Reply #303
So if folder structure is supported (and hopefully we meant the same thing) the need for *.m3u playlists can be bypassed altogether using the File Operations component. With it you can reorganize your files in practically any way you want, based on their tags.

To stick with my previous example, let's say I want to listen to my favorite songs from my Medal of Honor collection on my phone. The Filter panels help to select the files I need, then I have to define the pattern I want to structure my files after. In this case:

Medal of Honor\Medal of Honor Allied Assault\01. First Track.mp3
                                                            02. Second Track.mp3
                     Medal of Honor Airborne\01. First Track.mp3
                                                      02. Second Track.mp3

Which using titleformatting looks like:
%collection%\%album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

Obviously you can swap things around, like if you want to listen to a specific artist you can just define %artist% as root folder and so on. Once the files are on your phone you can just play them from the root folder. If your phone doesn't go into subdirectories you can just flatten the pattern to be only one folder deep.

I doubt ordering the songs would be much of a problem either. You can set the default order your tracks are sorted after and even if you move things around manually within a playlist/selection, their relative order can always be reflected by inserting %list_index% to the beginning of the filename of your songs.

Reply #304
Previous 6 posts are off topic. Maybe a mod. could split the thread.

Reply #305
NEMO,

I asked this a few months ago but got no reply so I'm trying agian.

Using this plugin with DUI. I have the Playlist Organizer in a tab. Every time I open foobar, the Playlist Organizer tab is active, even though it's not the first tab in the stack, and even though when I closed foobar, I had a the first tab active.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Reply #306
I'll add this to the todo list

Reply #307
Thanks!

And thank you for sharing this great component, it's very useful indeed

Reply #309
That doesn't really explain why foo_plorg is always the active tab when I open foobar. Why is this happening?

Reply #310
Source code of plugin available?

Reply #311
Hi,
I am also using the plorg plugin and would appreciate it, if one could select more than one playlist with ctrl to drag&drop in the different folders. Just an idea I had...

Thanks anyway for the plugin!

David Zweistein

Reply #312
I wont use diffrent colors for playlists and folsers

Reply #313
Just switched from playlist switcher, great plugin I appreciate your work 

Reply #314
great plugin! i know this isn't probably the right topic, but i've been wondering what plugins do you guys use to show recent history/most played tracks as playlists. i'm using foo_playcount and also tried to integrate foo_navigator, but that just creates a new panel (i don't want that). anybody know how can i create "recent history" and "most played" playlists automatically with real-time update? because drag&dropping the playlist into the foo_plorg would be the easy part. thanks so much for your responses.

Reply #315
libary>playback stats>recently played> hit the ... button>create autoplaylist will give you a start. Note the syntax of the query that created the tracks. More at Query Language

All your requests can be served by autoplaylists.

Reply #316
thanks so much for your very fast reply. i managed to create both the autoplaylists and looking at the query language, there are many possibilities for my future playlists as well. the playlists are updating automatically, that's exactly what i wanted. many thanks!

Reply #317
I have started using this plugin and it works really well.  There is a feature I've seen a couple of people ask but haven't seen any replies, so I'll ask again and see if it's possible.  Can the plugin work so that you can play an entire folder?

For example, I make extensive use of autoplaylists to manage my musical mood swings.  Let's say I have my Manager setup like so:

Code: [Select]
Rock (Folder)
- Rock (autoplaylist - Genre IS "Rock")
- Hard (Folder)
--- Metal (autoplaylist - Genre IS "Metal")
--- Hard Rock (autoplaylist - Genre IS "Hard Rock")
etc...

Right now I can play any of the specific autoplaylists, but I'd like to be able to play the entire Hard or Rock folders with their related sub-playlists as well.  Can this be accomplished using this plugin or in some other fashion?

Thanks

Reply #318
Not at the moment

Reply #320
Is it possible to make a playlist out of a folder of playlists?

Reply #321
Thanks for the plugin!

I've got the problem that i can't drag'n'drop a file from the playlist to the outside of foobar (copy to desktop, move to a folder in explorer etc.) but this problem only exist if the way i move the file goes over the Playlist Organizer. If i change from Playlist Organizer to Album List or any other thing than there are no more problems.
Maybee my picture is better to understand, i marked the field that makes the problem with red color.

Picture

Reply #322
Yes it's a bug .... Added to the todo list

Reply #323
Please add a play option from within the playlist, preferably directly above or below the activate option, i.e. an activate and play.  My intention is to use "foo_playlist_organizer" as a Shoutcast browser to play playlists downloaded from the site.

Foobar lacks a radio option and I am sure that if you could add this function it would extend the usefulness of this application immensely.

Reply #324
Double clicking on a playlist does that for me (activates and plays).

C.

EDIT for clarity.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)