Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC or FLAC bug deleting files (Read 1278 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC or FLAC bug deleting files

Sometimes when I'm ripping a CD in Exact Audio Copy to FLAC, I'll encounter the following error:

"The external compressor returned an error!

Options: -8 -V "0tmp)5933.wav" -o "0tmp)5933.flac"

File: E:\HDD\MUSIC\Shostakovich - Piano Trios\07. Track07.wav"

The program will then delete both the WAV and FLAC files so I have to abort the rip and re-rip the affected file. Sometimes this will happen 5-6 times in a row before I can move on with the CD (one disc was like that with a 30-minute track). This bug has followed me to at least three computers and several versions of FLAC and EAC and from at least Windows 7 onward, but nobody else seems to be affected, so I'm hoping it's a simple fix.

It's very annoying and happens several times on every CD I rip. I have a stack of them from recent record-store hauls and I'm losing patience.

Thanks for any help (Windows 10, EAC 1.6, FLAC 1.3.2)

(I don't add tags or anything -- just a simple extraction straight from the CD.)

Re: EAC or FLAC bug deleting files

Reply #1
A few low-risk things I'd try:

F9 > Extraction > Enable "Synchronize between tracks"
F9 > Tools > Enable "On extraction, start external processors queued in background" and set to 1 "simultaneous thread(s)"
F9 > Tools > Temporarily disable "Do not open external compressor window" so you might see more detail on the error

Re: EAC or FLAC bug deleting files

Reply #2
Thanks! That completely fixed the problem. You just saved me hours of frustration.

I don't know exactly what did it (I already had "synchronize tracks" but the other two were new) but as long as it works, I don't see any need to rabbit it out further.