Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Boosting volume above 100%? (Read 5464 times) previous topic - next topic

Boosting volume above 100%?

I lack the technical knowledge to search for terms in posts already made regarding this, so my bad if this has been answered.

I'm looking for a volume feature similar to the hi-lighted part of the picture I've linked. As far as I know, Foobar2000 doesn't come stock with anything like that, so I was wondering if there are extensions/plugins/whatevah available out there to achieve this.
That's all.

Thanks for reading.

Reply #1
As far as I understand that feature of VLC, raising the volume above 100% will apply additional gain to the signal, which then might and will very likely lead to clipping distortion, depending on the source file. I'm not aware of any clipping protection in VLC. You'd better use the knob on your speakers or headphones, or the Windows mixer, if you need more loudness.

To answer your question, in foobar2000 you can add an equalizer to your DSP chain, and apply positive gain to all bands to get the same effect.

EDIT: You can also preamp your files with positive gain, in Preferences > Playback.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Thanks man, I'll look into that. I've got an entire 320/FLAC library, which is why I've noticed very little distortion and would rather have this capability than not.
But yeah, thanks again, I wasn't expecting such a fast response.

Reply #3
Thanks man, I'll look into that. I've got an entire 320/FLAC library, which is why I've noticed very little distortion and would rather have this capability than not.
But yeah, thanks again, I wasn't expecting such a fast response.

I don't think the format has anything to do with you noticing distortion.

Anyways, just leave windows at it's max 100% and use the volume knob on your amp to crank it up, that's what it's for

Reply #4
I've got an entire 320/FLAC library, which is why I've noticed very little distortion

What does this have to do with the volume?

If you only have specific tracks that you find too soft, you can manually edit the replaygain value for a boost.

Reply #5
The other thing you can do is analyse your whole music library with ReplayGain, which will attempt to normalize the volume or loudness or whatever you'd like to call it of all your music. So older un-remastered records will match newer loudness-wars ones

I don't actually particularly like this, because I listen to a lot of new music off CD or downloaded from Bandcamp and so on, and I found it hard to set foobar correctly so that un-ReplayGain-tagged files don't suddenly jump out. Probably a way though.

Reply #6
I don't actually particularly like this, because I listen to a lot of new music off CD or downloaded from Bandcamp and so on, and I found it hard to set foobar correctly so that un-ReplayGain-tagged files don't suddenly jump out. Probably a way though.
It's of course not a universal solution, but you can apply negative gain to files without RG-info. I currently use -8dB pregain with great pleasure.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Re: Boosting volume above 100%?

Reply #7
I may have done this the wrong way, but here's a screenshot of how I figured it.  The volume does seem louder.  I'll have to experiment with it, but it's deffo a step in the right direction.

Re: Boosting volume above 100%?

Reply #8
It's of course not a universal solution, but you can apply negative gain to files without RG-info. I currently use -8dB pregain with great pleasure.
It may not be universal, but I do this too, based on this ~ http://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,66453.msg593150.html#msg593150
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)