Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iOS app: "Playback error: Length of object is unknown" (Read 1370 times) previous topic - next topic

iOS app: "Playback error: Length of object is unknown"

When I try to play audio files from media servers on my home PC, sometimes I get a message, "Playback error: length of object is unknown," followed by a long http link to my PC where the server and files are located. Then no sound will play. The screen shows the filetype incorrectly as m4a.

A few minutes later, there is no issue and the same files play without a problem (FLAC, WAV, mp3, DSD64etc.). I have an iPhone 8+ running iOS 11.3, but I had the same intermittent problem with earlier phones and iOS versions. It doesn't matter what filetype I'm using or which media server I use (Asset uPnP or foobar2000 on my PC).

Any suggestions?

Re: iOS app: "Playback error: Length of object is unknown"

Reply #1
When I try to play audio files from media servers on my home PC, sometimes I get a message, "Playback error: length of object is unknown," followed by a long http link to my PC where the server and files are located. Then no sound will play. The screen shows the filetype incorrectly as m4a.

A few minutes later, there is no issue and the same files play without a problem (FLAC, WAV, mp3, DSD64etc.). I have an iPhone 8+ running iOS 11.3, but I had the same intermittent problem with earlier phones and iOS versions. It doesn't matter what filetype I'm using or which media server I use (Asset uPnP or foobar2000 on my PC).

Any suggestions?

Hello,
I have the same issue with my Ipad playback music from my laptop content.

Did you find the solution ot your problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben