Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error when playing a certain aac stream (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

Error when playing a certain aac stream

When trying to play the stream an error is displayed in the foobar2000 v2.1.2:

Unable to open item for playback (invalid server response):
"http://oscar.scenesat.com:8000/scenesathi"

At the same time everything is fine in ffplay (and in other player programs too):

Input #0, aac, from 'http://oscar.scenesat.com:8000/scenesathi':0
  Metadata:
    icy-br          : 128
    icy-description : Orbiting the demoscene...
    icy-genre       : Demoscene Amiga C64 Various Misc
    icy-name        : SceneSat
    icy-pub         : 1
    icy-url         : https://SceneSat.com/
    StreamTitle     : Hinkstep - Moonwalk On Mushroom Street
  Duration: N/A, bitrate: 127 kb/s
  Stream #0:0: Audio: aac (HE-AAC), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 127 kb/s
   5.56 M-A:  0.000 fd=   0 aq=   19KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0

Re: Error when playing a certain aac stream

Reply #1
Perhaps the server did have an error at the time you tested. Playback starts fine here with all foobar2000 versions I tested.
If there's a problem with foobar2000 I think more details are needed. We don't want Peter wasting time chasing ghosts.

Reply #2
Hmm. I tried more than once :) Not playing right now. Is it possible to get a more detailed log in foobar2000?

Reply #3
Found the reason. I copied the stream address and there is 0x0a at the end of the line. This is not visible when using the Add Location.
It seems to me that it would be nice if there was protection from such situations (and users)). Some kind of input character filter.

Reply #4
Good to hear. That is certainly not a cause I was expecting.
I was typing a reply earlier - I'll leave it here in case it's helpful for someone else in the future.

Did you try with a clean portable install just to rule out some interfering setting/component?

There is a hidden advanced logging option but I don't think it can catch any more details about streaming attempt. It's useful for tracking issues with player startup.

There is a setting 'Crash on playback error' found at Preferences -> Advanced -> Debugging. It's at the very bottom.
It should cause the player to crash when playback fails. This produces a memory dump of the player's state which could show what the player sees on your machine. You can submit it to bugtracker where Peter can find it.

Reply #5
In the error message, this symbol is insidiously not displayed at all. Looks like the correct url. But in the playlist it is shown as an underscore at the end, but I did not attach any importance to this. Thanks!