Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does LAME cut off frequencies differently for CBR and VBR ? (Read 30388 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why does LAME cut off frequencies differently for CBR and VBR ?

Reply #25
@rutra80

But shouldn't it be even darker ?
According to your post earlier (#6) that would save more bits for the frequencies that we can actually hear. Instead V0 has allocated some bits over 20kHz that we can't hear (Even if they were strong HF content).
Yeah, and you would've gotten away with it :D

The difference in color is due to how they're discarded. Only the low pass completely attenuates, without that some residual noise remains, which is what you are seeing in V0.

Reply #26
@saratoga

What is that residual noise good for ? Why keep it instead of using a lower lowpass to improve the quality (however small that may be) of the lower frequencies ?

Reply #27
@saratoga

What is that residual noise good for ? Why keep it instead of using a lower lowpass to improve the quality (however small that may be) of the lower frequencies ?

Just guessing, but its probably due to leakage in the filterbank.  You can use a lower lowpass frequency if you want, but the defaults are usually pretty good choices. 

Reply #28
@saratoga

I'm not arguing about whether I should use a lower lowpass value for my encoding or not. If I want to do that I should listen to the music instead of watching at the spectrogram, right ?
I'm not gonna ask again why does V0 have a higher lowpass value (CBR320's seems the better choice to me) because @rutra80 has answered that before, though I don't know what full bandwidth encoding is good for.
Anyway, everyone thanks for your helpful comments.

Reply #29
Can please someone nuke the nuker?
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!