Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Output bit depth only 16bit? (Read 4857 times) previous topic - next topic

Output bit depth only 16bit?

Hi there,

i'm new to fb2000 but like the concept of the player. I have an Audigy 1 with latest drivers .253 and a DTT3500 digital 5.1 speaker system. Resampler is set to 48000hz.

When I enable 24bit output bit depth I get no sound - 16 bit is working fine. I thought Audigy would work with 24bit...

Any comments on this?

Reply #1
Same thing happens with my Audigy 1.
So much music, so little time...

Reply #2
Audigy 1 isn't 24bit, I thought only it's DAC's were 24bit not the chip.
Call it marketing, call it lying, call it creative

Reply #3

Don't get me wrong:  I hate Creative's driver development, I hate Creative's lack of support, and I hate Creative's marketing lies.

However, you're wrong about the 24 bits. For instance, the chip uses much more than 16 bits for internal processing.

Also the Audigy1 digital output *is* 96kHz, 24-bit.

I think the issues are about:
- the Audigy1 analog output, which is 48kHz with 16 or 24 bits if I'm not mistaken.
- microsoft's waveout interface in general, which sucks at 24-bit support (it's just as crippled and inefficient as every microsoft standard I know of)

Personally I can use 96kHz/24bit output in winamp's SSRC plugin, and I assume the signal is unmodified until the digital output. That should be a reasonable assumption, because the Megaworks, designed for the Audigy, have a 24-bit, 96kHz 6-channel digital input. Also, I selected 96kHz as digital output sampling frequency in Creative's control panel.

Reply #4
As I'm only a analog user, I wasn't thinking of digital.  My fault .

But be warned, the Audigy's ability to support 24-bit/ 96-kHz sound is very relative. Unlike the DMX 6Fire 24/96, the Audigy Platinum is not a "true" 24/96 and cannot play or record a file of this quality, nor even work on it. Actually, the only task it does in 96 kHz is a linkup with another device via the S/PDIF input. The card and rack components are all supposed to be 24-bit/ 96-kHz-compatible, but, in practice, the card is limited to 16 bits/ 48 kHz. Analog recording and restitution is possible in 24 bits/ 48 kHz, but, in fact, the processor downsamples in 16 bits and then upsamples. The card also has to be used with the sample rate conversion (SRC) software provided in order to work in 44.1 kHz. It's just a pity that Creative has not given this product an automatic SRC hardware option by using, say, a Cirrus Logic CS8420 chip. And it's really a pity that the card is not completely 24-bit/ 96-kHz-compatible.

Think this says it all.

Reply #5
As I'm only a analog user, I wasn't thinking of digital. My fault

You probably mean, Creative's fault 

misleading = marketing

Reply #6

Don't get me wrong:  I hate Creative's driver development, I hate Creative's lack of support, and I hate Creative's marketing lies.

However, you're wrong about the 24 bits. For instance, the chip uses much more than 16 bits for internal processing.

Also the Audigy1 digital output *is* 96kHz, 24-bit.

I think the issues are about:
- the Audigy1 analog output, which is 48kHz with 16 or 24 bits if I'm not mistaken.
- microsoft's waveout interface in general, which sucks at 24-bit support (it's just as crippled and inefficient as every microsoft standard I know of)

Personally I can use 96kHz/24bit output in winamp's SSRC plugin, and I assume the signal is unmodified until the digital output. That should be a reasonable assumption, because the Megaworks, designed for the Audigy, have a 24-bit, 96kHz 6-channel digital input. Also, I selected 96kHz as digital output sampling frequency in Creative's control panel.

Yep, it is.
kX Project has a special trick (not implemented yet) to enable 24-bit on analog output. So, hardware can do it, but CL drivers don't use most of hardware.

Reply #7
Thankfully my Fortissimo 2 works just fine.