Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Correct ID3 Tagging (Read 2315 times) previous topic - next topic

Correct ID3 Tagging

I am trying to add several ID3 Tags to some tracks I have here.
Using foobar2000 0.9.6.8, I go into the properties and full out the values and hit apply.
Open into a simple player like WMP and notice that composer shows as "-".
Now I have mp3 tracks that I have collected over the years and quite a few of them have information showing for Composer when played in WMP.
As a test, I opened one of those tracks in foobar and edit the composer to something like "test", then it apply, then open in WMP again.
However, now the Composer shows as "-". Am I missing something here or am I adding ID3 tags the wrong way?

Thanks

Correct ID3 Tagging

Reply #1
Preferences -> Advanced -> Tagging -> MP3 -> ID3v2 writer compatibility mode.

Set this option and try again.

Correct ID3 Tagging

Reply #2
Thanks, that did it. Why isn't that enabled by default?

Correct ID3 Tagging

Reply #3
Because Foobar, by default, tries very hard to tag to standards.
The option you selected is a developer 'hack' to account for other programs poor implementations.

terry

A search here on the option will bring up details.

Correct ID3 Tagging

Reply #4
Meaning, it is recommended to leave disabled/unchecked when ID3Tagging?

Correct ID3 Tagging

Reply #5
meaning:
WMP doesn't write or read standard id3v2.4 tags.

It's up to you to decided what is best for you, but personally I don't care if my tags show up in WMP anymore, since I never use it.
elevatorladylevitateme