Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC ripping 24bit (Read 9600 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC ripping 24bit

hallo!

I would like to backup my whole music collection. So I ripped about 100 cd's with EAC in .wav with the configuration 128kBit/s 44100 Hz Stereo.  After that I saw that many cd's where remastered in 24bit (especially the rudy van gelden editions and many japanese releases). So my question is: are this rips not lossless anymore with my EAC configuration and if so what progs have I to use to rip this cd's in 24bit becauese the highest configuration was already 128kBit/s? I also tested the 24bit cd's with foobar2000 and this program showed on the left lower corner PCM 1411kbps 44100Hz stereo for every cd. Is this because I have a old sound card or is this 24bit promise from the record companies only hot air -> they are remastering it in 24bit and press this in 16bit?? thanks a lot in advance for your help.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #1
they are remastering it in 24bit and press this in 16bit??

Yup, you're getting exactly what you paid for. Remastering in 24bit, that's what it is.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #2
So I ripped about 100 cd's with EAC in .wav with the configuration 128kBit/s 44100 Hz Stereo.

Just to let you know, you have two conflicting pieces of information here. If you rip to .wav then your files are 1411 kbps. If you rip to some lossy codec instead then you could get 128 kbps. Probably what you are seeing here is an EAC setpoint (128kbps) that applies only to lossy compression and is ignored when ripping to .wav.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #3
lol, I didn't noticed that, sorry for the mistake. yeah, as you already said I ripped them all at 1411 kbps. thanks for your advice.
Hm ok I understand, but is it not senseless to do a transfer at a 24-bit resolution and press it than with 16-bit on a cd? How can you test if a cd has a 24-bit resolution or only 16-bit - does foobar2000 show that on the left lower corner?

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #4
What you need to understand (and I won't go into the technicalities) is that the 16 bits of a CD can carry more than 16 bits of information. If the mixing is all done at higher resolution, say 24 bits, then some of this additional resolution is actually encoded on the CD. On the other hand if the mixing is done at 16 bits then that's all there is.

I would guess (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that most mixing these days is done in 24 bits.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #5
some of this additional resolution is actually encoded on the CD

The extra resolution may be noticeable on the CD though the use of dither but it is not actually encoded on the CD.

CDs are 16 bit; no more, no less.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #6
But isn't it necessary to master at 24 or 32 bits anyway?

Come to think of it, advertising 24-bit mastering kind of feels like saying "we wash our dishes at our restaurant," if you get what I mean.

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #7
It's not *necessary*.. but you'd end up with a lot of quantization noise if you mastered at 16-bit. Kinda like dirty dishes, except you won't get shut down for it

EAC ripping 24bit

Reply #8
It's not *necessary*.. but you'd end up with a lot of quantization noise if you mastered at 16-bit. Kinda like dirty dishes, except you won't get shut down for it
I don't think accumulated 16-bit dither has to be that dramatic.
The dishes are still pretty clean, but with 24-bit mastering they will be even disinfected