Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC fingerprints (ffp) don't support hires 24-bit format? (Read 1137 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC fingerprints (ffp) don't support hires 24-bit format?

Recently I noticed when I checked (with TLH) fingerprints in newer hi-res 24bit flac releases from HDTracks/Qobuz that it returned  either 'file format is not supported' or 'fingerprint stored is zero'? Older hi-res flacs don't ave this problem although I have no clue exactly when the transition happened. Has anyone else reflected over this? Is it a problem with the FLAC format or does it have something to do with the ffp?

Re: FLAC fingerprints (ffp) don't support hires 24-bit format?

Reply #1
I don't know TLH specifically, nor HDTracks/Qobuz which I don't have access to, but elsewhere I've seen .ffp generated by metaflac from the FLAC file's audio-md5.
I.e. it is common to read the md5 that has already been calculated and stored.

There are applications that write files without the md5, and that could be an explanation.

Here is what to do to sort this out:
* Re-encode your Qobuz.flac as a new file audiocopy.flac. Should be the same audio signal.
* Verify that they are the same audio signal using e.g. foobar2000 with foo_bitcompare
* Test both files with various tools; TLH, AudioTester, foo_verifier, ... - do the two files give you the same result?

ffp files exist, I believe, because the bootleg trading community holds on to the practices that were established when they used Shorten (which had no error checking) or .wav/.aiff  (ditto - and I think the later ALAC in .m4a is just as bad).