Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavelab ripps seem to have a lot mor highs...... (Read 4663 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavelab ripps seem to have a lot mor highs......

Here's an other novice questiion. I started to grabb music just recently,..about 3 days ago.  I used Wavelab the first time, then went on w. audiograbber after 2 CDs or so. When comparing the files I felt that the songs grabbed w. wavelab did sound a lot clearer w. more emphasis in the upper highs. That was w. the same song and from the same CD drive. An other thing is that I'm extremely surprised to see that the grabbed files on the hard disc sounded even better than from the CD burner itself.
I also made comparisons with the Lame vs. the Frauenhofer. The Lame was far superior even w. my plastic speakers. But what really leaves me curious is: How come that the Lame files sound even better than the originals (better lows). Is it really desirable to have files being modified for better sounding and possibly taking them too far away from the originals?
I'm still having problems to get EAC working. It looks like I'll have to use an other grabber, oouuuch!!
Sorry for my ramble

Reply #1
Since you're new here, and I assume that you're a newbie to this kind of stuff I'll offer the following advice:

1.  Spend some time here reading the threads and using the search function, especially regarding quality related issues, before posting more stuff like this.  It'll save you and everyone else a lot of anguish
2.  Make sure to reread the rules of the forum, especially item #8.
3.  Please follow the preferred quality/listening test methods on the forum here.  You can learn more about this in the rules, or at places like http://www.pcabx.com, http://www.ff123.net, http://www.ff123.net/abchr/abchr.html, or http://www.kikeg.arrakis.es/winabx/

Reply #2

Reply #3
An other thing is that I'm extremely surprised to see that the grabbed files on the hard disc sounded even better than from the CD burner itself.
I also made comparisons with the Lame vs. the Frauenhofer. The Lame was far superior even w. my plastic speakers. But what really leaves me curious is: How come that the Lame files sound even better than the originals (better lows).

Think about the way audio data goes from your CD burner to your ears on playback and what seperates this from the way encoded audio data goes from your HDD to your ears. If you hear or *think* to hear differences eliminate all other possible reasons first before you draw conclusions about encoding.

You could do this e.g. by burning an audio CD-R(W) from your mp3s and compare it with the original on a standalone player. Make sure your audio player doesn't use equalizer/DSP when comparing. ... use your imagination and you'll have more ideas like this.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #4
Thanx a bunch guys.

Reply #5
I think this forum has to be more friendly to newbies, in practice it will work like:

<bloke>I have a question about audio ripping?
<some other bloke>Visit hydrogen audio that is the audio forum,

Bloke visits, sees 200,000 messages - maybe reads the rules, maybe not - could do a search for 'audio CD rip quality' and gets 1000s of hits....

How about a newbies section, where any question stands?

Reply #6
Wavelab sounding better :
Audiograbber must be ripping to a highly compressed format. You must rip to wav (uncompressed).

Copies sounding better :
CD playback and file playback can follow a different path in the computer : you can get playback similar to file playback from the CD setting the drive options (in the control panel) to "digital playback" in Win 2k/XP, using Windows Media player 7 or upper and setting digital playback in the options, or using Winamp3, or EAC, setting "use alternate CD play routines" in the options, or using Winamp2 + the CDReader plugin.
You won't get "digital playback" with WMP 6, bare Winamp 2, Windows CD Player...

Reply #7
another idea:

newbs are sent the FAQ to their email box on registration.  And they can't post for the first few days after registration.  thus if they need quick answers they are forced to read the faq and/or search the board before they are allowed to post, thus hopefully preventing more 'mpc vs ogg' topics.

Reply #8
Hello again. Thanx for responding. Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a race engine builder and an expert in that kinda stuff, not a computer nut.
I use to actively participate in one, if not the best forums for the type of engine I'm mainly working on. Some people there even believe that I'm the founder or the owner of the engine tech forum, which is not the case.
The newbies that keep on dropping in ask all these FAQ which most of us are happy to repeatedly answer it over and over and also giving them links to the right threads. We educate them and serve them to save their time and buying the right parts, help them save a LOT of $$$ too.
What I'm trying to say is that no matter how much time and effort I've spent in the forum over the years,..I just can't expect somebody to go through hundreds of pages, just to possibly find a solution that eventually could help him out. People need instant help, and that's o.K IMO. Do I really need to know all that stuff written in those hundreds of pages that I would have to go through, just to get an info about how to get EAC starting, for instance? Do I really have to spend a day or two, maybe a week on some freakin' problem that some other folk could answer w. a snap? Do I have to study physics to create MP3, OGG Vobis or musepack files? Guess no. Gimme some instant help so I can save some more time to play you a tune or two on my guitar. Then I'll get it on a CD and up into the air for your convenience. Just listen to the results of what comes out from decades of hard practicing this musical instrument. Trust me, I won't expect you to learn the tabs and musical notes. Wasn't it music that got it all started, even this forum?
I have great respect for all the participants in this forum and I understand that I was posting in the wrong cathegory. I don't feel mistreated or s.th. just throwing in some thoughts.
Sorry for my ramble and stealing your time.
Best regards

Reply #9
Recently I saw in TV a guy from India claiming he had invented an engine that runs with water as fuel. Some weeks later there was another guy who had built some kind of ventilators on the roof of his car using the air moving past them while driving to produce electric current that powers the engine. If I go to your forum and ask how to build this into my car (in my first post, you don't know me and don't know if I'm joking) - what will happen?

We both know this is ridiculous - producing energy out of nothing aka perpetuum mobile. Getting quality better than the original by lossy compression can be considered as perpetuum mobile too.

This example is not really comparable with your question of course, so please don't be offended - I don't want to make you look like stupid or something. I just want to explain why this particular question might be one of the few that can make some people here answer less patiently than usual.

BTW: Where is your engine forum? I need to ask some questions about bio-diesel and fine oil filter.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #10
[deleted]

Reply #11
If you can afford the time to read around the topic then yes try and ask a question the 'proper' way..  A lot of time someone is faced with a specific question on a topic they don't understand, and a wealth of information to pick it out of.  The problem is the library resources (this forum) are written by and towards people already familiar with the topic - so if you search and are lucky enough to get a result related to your question, there's a good chance you'll need to search and get lucky on 5 other topics to understand it.

I go on first impressions with forums, I believe forums which don't have the time for new people asking very simple and even stupid questions appear to be conceited and elitist.  I've seen HA to lean into this category sadly, I initially felt quite unwelcome.

Think about it, do you want to spread your formats and ideals to the general public, if so, you have to stoop down and be gracious to them
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #12
tigre

......."another guy who had built some kind of ventilators on the roof of his car using the air moving past them while driving to produce electric current that powers the engine. If I go to your forum and ask how to build this into my car (in my first post, you don't know me and don't know if I'm joking) - what will happen?"...

In this world nearly nothing is impossible, even the craziest ideas might have some intelligent content. You're probably not too familiar w. the U.S American race history and some of their protagonists, but let me tell you that it was the famous Smokey Junick who once installed a ventilator on an indy car to serve as a generator (Lichtmaschine) This device was soon banned by NASCAR for violating the rules.

Water is very beneficial to internal combustion engines. There was always a lot of experimentation, especially in the great 60 ies muscle car aera. Water was injected through the carburator to positively add to the flame propagandation.  Extra steam was generated to produce more HPower and torque. It also helped to keep detonation problems low. That allowed to build engines with more compression. The aftermarket industrie is still selling devices that add water to the engine.

A few years ago I've seen an engine project that took place in a German institute. I can't remember the details, but it was about using water as a main source. But hey, I can't comment that except that it was a serious project.

Your bio diesel question is funny and you can bet that I got the point. Look, you can drop in with whatever issiue you got. The FE Big Block Forum
is very open minded. It has seen extreme spam during the years as it is not contolled by a moderator. The original moderator has returned to the page a few years after he had found it. As he lost his Admin keys, no one is able to controll it. The people who stand their ground there are very strong characters and the avarage age is asumingly 40 or so. There is no such a thing like off topic. You may come up with the war in Iraq or whatever. The hobby will bring the participants back to business pretty soon. From this free spirit you're able to get known better to the guys who are posting, and even get close friends, believe it or not.

TrNSZ,
I haven't read the how to post rules yet. I had spent a good portion of time reading me through various other sites before I posted. That was very time consuming. I appretiate your pointer and certainly will read more of this link once I find some time. Unfortunately my time is very short, and I also doubt that me dirty ol' man of 45 years needs to read some elses approbation on how to properly behave in public. I will read it one day though. Hope it's not too boring.

Let's get back to business,
Peace on earth

Reply #13
Here's an other novice questiion. I started to grabb music just recently,..about 3 days ago.  I used Wavelab the first time, then went on w. audiograbber after 2 CDs or so. When comparing the files I felt that the songs grabbed w. wavelab did sound a lot clearer w. more emphasis in the upper highs. That was w. the same song and from the same CD drive. An other thing is that I'm extremely surprised to see that the grabbed files on the hard disc sounded even better than from the CD burner itself.
I also made comparisons with the Lame vs. the Frauenhofer. The Lame was far superior even w. my plastic speakers. But what really leaves me curious is: How come that the Lame files sound even better than the originals (better lows). Is it really desirable to have files being modified for better sounding and possibly taking them too far away from the originals?
I'm still having problems to get EAC working. It looks like I'll have to use an other grabber, oouuuch!!
Sorry for my ramble
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=75257"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I find that searching Hydrogenaudio using Google to be much more informative, easier, quicker, and finds the relevant topics faster. Google for 'site:hydrogenaudio.org <related keywords>'

For your problem in setting up EAC search google for 'site:hydrogenaudio.org nero aspi'

Reply #14
I think this forum has to be more friendly to newbies, in practice it will work like:

<bloke>I have a question about audio ripping?
<some other bloke>Visit hydrogen audio that is the audio forum,

Bloke visits, sees 200,000 messages - maybe reads the rules, maybe not - could do a search for 'audio CD rip quality' and gets 1000s of hits....

How about a newbies section, where any question stands?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=75385"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you can afford the time to read around the topic then yes try and ask a question the 'proper' way..  A lot of time someone is faced with a specific question on a topic they don't understand, and a wealth of information to pick it out of.  The problem is the library resources (this forum) are written by and towards people already familiar with the topic - so if you search and are lucky enough to get a result related to your question, there's a good chance you'll need to search and get lucky on 5 other topics to understand it.

I go on first impressions with forums, I believe forums which don't have the time for new people asking very simple and even stupid questions appear to be conceited and elitist.  I've seen HA to lean into this category sadly, I initially felt quite unwelcome.

Think about it, do you want to spread your formats and ideals to the general public, if so, you have to stoop down and be gracious to them
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=75664"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed. I am a newbie as well. It really is annoying and quite time consuming to search for something and, in fact, not finding exactly what you're looking for.
Example: an user requires information. He decides to search for it first instead of directly posting a topic. He searches and after quite some time he is left almost empty-handed. Meaning he had found something but far from what he needs. Maybe the information just doesn't exsit, maybe the information he needs is in one of those last topics in the search and he either doesn't have the time or the nerves to get through all those topics. He then decides to post a topic asking his question straight away. Instead of recieving information he's asked to try and search for it.
The user has wasted time to search and then wait for response (what if the response is slow - even more time wasted) and the result is close to nothing.
Some peaple really need info as soon as possible.

Maybe there should be a special suggestion popping out for all newbies, when they logon or register, to try the search if they are looking for non-urgent and general information. Or something like that.

Please don't get me wrong, i really enjoy this forum but i feel spoon and Mac do have a point there.
Just throwing in thoughts, like burn_out said.

Reply #15
Wow. But why resurrect such an old topic for that since the information added is somewhat irrelevant to the topic itself?
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #16
I'll use this opportunity to, once again, request automatic locking of threads more than N days/weeks/months old.

It's very annoying to start reading a thread, only to realize later on, that you read the same thread more than two years ago.

There might be circumstances under which it may be desirable to post to an old thread, but more often than not, resurrection of old threads do not contribute useful, new nor interesting information.

Reply #17
I'll use this opportunity to, once again, request automatic locking of threads more than N days/weeks/months old.

It's very annoying to start reading a thread, only to realize later on, that you read the same thread more than two years ago.

There might be circumstances under which it may be desirable to post to an old thread, but more often than not, resurrection of old threads do not contribute useful, new nor interesting information.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293216"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was searching for something and came across this thread and I didn't realize that it was so old. I saw 2003, and my mind instantly thought he joined in 2003.

Whoever warned me, can you take it off?