Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replaygain using Album and Track (Read 3100 times) previous topic - next topic

Replaygain using Album and Track

I've got a couple questions regarding Foobar's Replaygain setup, and if there's a manual to this, I can't find it anywhere.

I've been tinkering around with Replaygain, and I was wondering if Foobar2k will play the Track gain if there is no Album gain info?  And will it do this even if it's set to the album gain setting?

Likewise, if I set it to Track, will it ONLY play track information?

Finally, on an off-topic note, is there a way to add replaygain info to mp3's without altering the signal like mp3gain does (and without using Foobar's internal replaygain)?
Thanks.

Reply #1
using replay gain with foobar does not altar the file.  It simply creates a meta tag with the information for replay gain.  For those players which support replaygain it wil play fine with the new information, for those that don't it simply ignores it.

Reply #2
Sorry perhaps I was being confusing.

When you calculate Replaygain, you can either have it do either Track or Album (which will also calculate Track, since Track gain calculation is required for Album gain).  I have many songs with the Album gain set.  However, I also have a few choice songs which only have the Track gain (i.e. no album gain).  For example, I have a couple U2 songs with Track only information since I only ripped those songs.

Right now I have Foobar 2000 set up to use Album gain.  Will Foobar utilize the Track gain information in the U2 songs, even though I have it set to Use Album Gain information?

I'm guessing yes, but I want to be sure.

Also, I have another computer at home that only plays back Track gain information.  I assume that because it has Track gain information, it will ignore album gain information.  However, I also want to be certain about that.

Finally, is there another program, aside from foobar2k, that writes replaygain information for mp3s?  Mp3gain doesn't write to tags, but writes to the music itself.

Thanks again.

Reply #3
to answer some of your questions, if you choose album gain and there is no album gain value i beleive it will fallback to the track gain value.

if mp3gain wont write to the tag instead of modifying file i dont think there's anything else, what is the problem of using foobar to write it, or is the playback a concern ?

edit: and yes, if you choose track gain mode it will ignore album gain otherwise both modes would be the same.. (unless it has no track gain value, if so it seems to fallback to album gain first)

Reply #4
I've been tinkering around with Replaygain, and I was wondering if Foobar2k will play the Track gain if there is no Album gain info?  And will it do this even if it's set to the album gain setting?

Yes, it will. In "album gain" mode, it will fall back to track gain if no album gain info is found.

Likewise, if I set it to Track, will it ONLY play track information?

Yes, even if an album gain tag is found, track gain will be used.

Also, if no track gain is found, album gain will be used.

Finally, on an off-topic note, is there a way to add replaygain info to mp3's without altering the signal like mp3gain does (and without using Foobar's internal replaygain)?

It is possible to add a tag with replaygain info to an mp3 file. However, foobar2000 is the only audio player that I know of which can make use of this information.

Reply #5

Yes, it will. In "album gain" mode, it will fall back to track gain if no album gain info is found.

The version I have here (0.7 beta 9) doesn't. Is that a bug or intended behaviour?

This happens when playing MPC files replaygained with the commandline tool. When viewing the values with the manual replaygain editor in foobar, I see that only the track gain is there - album gain says +0.0000 dB. When I play these files with album gain they are too loud.

Reply #6
The version I have here (0.7 beta 9) doesn't. Is that a bug or intended behaviour?

This happens when playing MPC files replaygained with the commandline tool.

That is a bug in MPC input, will be behaving correctly in next version.