Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I moved computers. How do I get my original foobar2000 customized interface? (Read 1587 times) previous topic - next topic

I moved computers. How do I get my original foobar2000 customized interface?

I recently moved into a different computer and even though I backed up all of my foobar2000 files, the external hard drive will not copy programs to the new computer.  I'm told this is a Windows thing.  So, my foobar2000 is not customized to the way that I had it.  Is there a way to retrieve that?  Is it stored in the cloud somewhere?  Or, what is the name of the folder/file that keeps that information?

Re: I moved computers. How do I get my original foobar2000 customized interface?

Reply #1
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=99181.0

After an install on the new computer, you can try to copy the c:\program files (x86)\foobar2000 folder and the %appdata%\foobar2000 folder over to the new computer. For the latter, you can either access it from within foobar2000 by Alt+Shift+F b - or from the OS by presseing the windows logo key, typing %appdata% and hitting enter.

At worst you will have to delete stuff from your new computer and try over.

Re: I moved computers. How do I get my original foobar2000 customized interface?

Reply #2
I was finally able to uninstall the new foosbar2000.   I have the information from my old program on a flash drive.  The old version is Foosbar2000 v.1.4.6 which is different from the new version.  How do I install the old version?  Do I just move my data to the %APPData%\Roaming\ section? 

Reply #3
Don't delete the Roaming folder itself - it contains too much about other applications.
Delete the foobar2000 folder in the Roaming folder.

You might need to have Administrator privileges for the copying operations I described, as well as for deletion.
Hit the Windows key, type "cmd", select Run as administrator. Will open a command prompt. If you aren't fluent at command line, type "explorer" at the prompt and hit Enter. That should open an Explorer window with admin rights.

Reply #4
Before I saw your comment - I figures out how to uninstall the Foobar2000 on my new computer.  I have the old one saved in a flash drive but, I am confused on how to install.  So, that is what I am wondering.  How do install it when it is a different version from the one online?  Sorry to be a bother but, I am trying my best to understand.  I did the cmd Run as Administrator.    I have Windows 10 for 64, not 32

Reply #6
It's getting there.   The basic theme is setup but, my playlists aren't showing up, nor is all of my music.  I did copy the playlists that I had into the new setup but, they aren't showing up on the interface.   It has been forever since I first did that.   I don't recall how to add iTunes playlists to Foobar2000.   As for all of my songs, I can try and export from iTunes but, I do have 7280 songs.  Not sure how long that will take, or if there is a better way.

Reply #8
Per your advice, I added the foo_jesus dll  to both.  It didn't seem to make a difference.  Since my last posted question I have figured out how to export playlists from iTunes and import them into Foobar2000.   However, the entire playlist is not being transferred.  It says I have 7326 songs in iTunes but, Foobar2000 is reporting there are 5923.  So, this is a concern.  Do you have any wisdom on how to correct this or should I post a new topic for that?   I appreciate all the help you have given me!!!

Reply #9
You should first copy the foobar2000 directory from the old machine's %appdata% to the new machine. Then install latest foobar2000. It will import and convert old configs and playlists to new format. This applies if your old foobar2000 was at least version v0.9. Versions older than that are not compatible with foobar2000 v1.x series.

Reply #10
I am fairly certain that is what I copied and have been working with.  I am nervous to install new version.  Will that erase anything I've done up to this point?  I finally have it where it needs to be, except for the playlists and amount of music it's copying.  My old version is 1.4.6

Reply #11
Try a portable install if you are worried?

I mean, a portable 1.4.6 in e.g. "c:\bin" or wherever you have your portable programs. Copy from %appdata% to the portable folder. Run and see. Grab a new installer, and choose portable in same folder. See what happens.

Reply #12
UPDATE to my comments:   I think that the problem is stemming from iTunes.  I did a test where I renamed the playlist from iTunes and imported it back into iTunes.   It said 5892 tunes which is a 23 song difference.  If you take into account the 18 that Foobar2000 couldn't load, there is only a 5 song difference.    

Ok.  I decided to go ahead and update.  I still have the issue of Foobar2000 only loading 5869 files as opposed to the 7259 files in my iTunes playlist (after deleting duplicates).   Foobar did mention that it couldn't load 18 files.  But, that still leaves a discrepancy of 1372 songs.  Is there a known reason for this?  Is there a way to fix?

Reply #13
These are playlists, not indexed by foobar2000's library function?

(The library might take some time to initialize, if it is on a NAS.)