Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Searching for specific accented characters? (Read 5683 times) previous topic - next topic

Searching for specific accented characters?

Case in point, I try to search for "ñ" on my active playlist, but it ignores the accent and finds all other "n" letters as well. The Query Syntax Help file that comes with the player says that "When using the simple search, any latin characters are matched regardless of their accents, e.g. “foo” will match “foo” as well as “föö” or “fóo”" which explains that, but it also implies that by using advanced search I could somehow make it search only that accented character. I tried title HAS ñ, but that didn't give me desired results either, still find all n letters in the title field.

So, is it possible to specifically search for this accented character?
made of radiation

Reply #1
"$strstr(%title%,ñ)" PRESENT

Reply #2
IMO foobar should work this way :

- If we type "espana" il will look for "espana" and also for "españa"
- BUT if we care to type "españa" it should only look for "españa" (or "españà", "éspaña", "éspañà", etc.) but not for "espana" anymore.

In other words, I think there should be a difference between the umlaut/accented chars and the standard ones :

- Any standard ascii char should have a list of corresponding umlaut/accented chars to look for (e.g. "a" -> "a", "à", "ä", etc.). This already works within foobar AFAIK.
- BUT any umlaut/accented char should restrict the ongoing search to strings containing exactly that specific char. (e.g. "é" -> foobar will look only for "é", not for "e" anymore)

Do you agree with this ? 

Reply #4
To foobar devs : any thoughts on my previous post ? (can foobar's search behaviour be modified accordingly / will it be in a next release ?)

Reply #5
Added to feature proposals list.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.