Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Scalefactor - Mpeg 2 layer 2decoder (Read 4383 times) previous topic - next topic

Scalefactor - Mpeg 2 layer 2decoder

if bad scalefactor or bad emphasis values is present in a frame do we need to continue decoding the frame or do we need to skip the frame and coninue decoding the next frame                                    pls somebody help me in it 

Reply #1
Are you a programmer writing a codec or decoder?  My programming skills are not that advanced, so I can't really answer your question...

But, I think you probably stop and skip to the next frame.  Or, try to handle the errors "gracefully".  (i.e. a muted frame is better than a noisy/corrupt frame).  The reason I say that is because my Corel/Ulead video editing programs sometimes crash when re-coding/transcoding.  I assume this caused by buffer overflow...  or something like that...  Sometimes the program will halt with an error, sometimes it will freeze, and sometimes I'll get an "out of memory" error.   

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure some "bad data" in the file is "confusing" the decoder, because other files with the same format don't cause trouble, and it seems to happen somewhere in the middle of the file.  But, these (bad/corrupt?) files usually play back fine with Window Media Player, so it's only the Corel/Ulead decoder that "gets confused" by these files.

Reply #2
Are you a programmer writing a codec or decoder?  My programming skills are not that advanced, so I can't really answer your question...

But, I think you probably stop and skip to the next frame.  Or, try to handle the errors "gracefully".  (i.e. a muted frame is better than a noisy/corrupt frame).  The reason I say that is because my Corel/Ulead video editing programs sometimes crash when re-coding/transcoding.  I assume this caused by buffer overflow...  or something like that...  Sometimes the program will halt with an error, sometimes it will freeze, and sometimes I'll get an "out of memory" error.   

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure some "bad data" in the file is "confusing" the decoder, because other files with the same format don't cause trouble, and it seems to happen somewhere in the middle of the file.  But, these (bad/corrupt?) files usually play back fine with Window Media Player, so it's only the Corel/Ulead decoder that "gets confused" by these files.

im a programmer writing decoder. Thanks for ur reply. The error handling varies with decoders. So im trying to skip the frame.