Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus RG peak values in foobar2000 (Read 631 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus RG peak values in foobar2000

Currently, Foobar doesn't store ReplayGain peak values for Opus files and ignores them if they're added manually. That's a shame, because I like to see that data.

Now, I've read some justifications for not including peak data in the Opus docs and in this post, by @derf_ . I'm not convinced by those arguments at all and I don't know what actual harm is being prevented by excluding that info.

Anyway, the current spec proposal says this (emphasis mine):
To avoid confusion with multiple normalization schemes, an Opus comment header SHOULD NOT contain any of the REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK, REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN, or REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK tags, unless they are only to be used in some context where there is guaranteed to be no such confusion.

It looks like adding the RG data is not really forbidden, especially not if it's in the proper context.
Foobar itself makes normalization by peak an explicit opt-in setting, so there wouldn't be any confusion there. And if some other software does that by default, maybe it has a good reason for it. Like an audio editor that wants to stay below 0dBFS and prevent clipping, for example.

So, can this be reconsidered?

Re: Opus RG peak values in foobar2000

Reply #1
I'd forgotten about the thread you linked to, probably because I don't use Opus myself. You can create a custom field and add the peak value there, but having to copy the value and add it manually would make me suicidal pretty quickly if I had a lot of files to tag. It'll show up in mp3tag under "extended tags", but it'd only be there for your reference because a player wouldn't know what to do with it.

Re: Opus RG peak values in foobar2000

Reply #2
Yes, using a tag with a different name works, at least in the sense that the values are visible in Foobar. While replaygain_track_peak and replaygain_album_peak are intentionally ignored for Opus files and only show a question mark.
Here's an example, just so that everyone knows what we're talking about:

X

For my own use case, even just storing and displaying that info in the playlist would mostly be good enough, because I almost never use automatic peak normalization.
And if using a different tag name (like "opus_track_peak") makes objectors happy, that's okay too, even though I'd prefer to keep things simple...