Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why contemporary music is DEPRESSING! (no nostalgic BS, it's decadence) (Read 4986 times) previous topic - next topic

Why contemporary music is DEPRESSING! (no nostalgic BS, it's decadence)

Contemporary music, in particular mainstream pop and rock music, seem to have greatly reduce their artistic and sonic qualities if we confront the charts of the past century. Let's try to understand and discover what are the main issues and pitfalls that are producing this degeneration!

https://youtu.be/sciD9c1Y8Xk

This is downright depressing about 20% of music is from new groups.

EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Re: Why contemporary music is DEPRESSING! (no nostalgic BS, it's decadence)

Reply #1
You are linkdropping a video of almost 30 minutes. I value my time, would you care to repeat the main point(s) before I decide to watch it?

From the title alone, I'd be inclined to call BS. Simply from the fact that apparently, someone is saying things about millions of hours of music, generalizing it under a single title. In general, I hate overgeneralizing. It seems to me making general statements about something so diverse as music does it no justice.

I mean, how can one know of the enormous diversity we have in music and still throw it all on a single pile?

edit: or is this simply clickbait and is the main point more nuanced?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #2
Without watching i also find it strange how artists lately publicly feel the need telling everyone about their mental problems. They claim wanting to help others but somehow it feels like it has become a part of the business to bind fans.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #3

All I can say is
It's WRONG
There's still great new bands out there.
& what's with people's fixation with music from the 60's & 70's.

Reply #4
Other videos from this channel:

"Chinese OCC copper: fake or real? The SKW case"
"Extreme high-fidelity OCC speaker cables at a fair (high) price"
"Pink Floyd Animals CD: 1986 AAD vs 2022 ADD"
"SPARS code AAD: When CDs sounded best"
"The Digital Disease: Why analog sounds better"

...yes, I don't want to waste my time watching this video.

Reply #5
Is it only me or embedded Youtube videos in HA no longer plays when I click it? Tried on desktop Firefox with add-ons disabled (troubleshooting mode) and on a smartphone with Chromium-based browser.

Reply #6
There are opinions, everyone has their own, and then there are the facts, record companies make profits with catalog works, if it depended on the new ones they would have already gone bankrupt. If music were like the one produced today I would never have bought a stereo system to listen to it, it's crap put together on the computer by people with no art in it.

Obviously it is a generalization around a fact.

Reply #7
Without watching i also find it strange how artists lately publicly feel the need telling everyone about their mental problems. They claim wanting to help others but somehow it feels like it has become a part of the business to bind fans.

Music was always a way of processing things, I think the 1960s and 1970s music was much about that than maybe even today. Just look at the late music of The Beatles. And speaking about mental illness can reduce the stigma of it.

But those are just my 2 ct.

Reply #8
Is it only me or embedded Youtube videos in HA no longer plays when I click it?
Windows 7 and Chrome. "This content is blocked. Contact the site owner to fix the issue."

If music were like the one produced today I would never have bought a stereo system to listen to it, it's crap put together on the computer by people with no art in it.
Couldn't have said it better.
Not only music - but also videos. Throw some titties, rent-a-car and fake dollar bills and you have guaranteed hit.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #9
Not exactly a new story, this?

This next song was sung by Billie Holiday, called "Gloomy Sunday".
And when she first recorded it on the radio, there was a protest from the record company because it was too pessimistic and depressing.
Therefore they had her change the ending to make it more optimistic and hopeful, and at that moment was born the first ... pop music.
I won't do it that way, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MWlgX0dDuo
Diamanda Galas, taking Desmond Carter's English lyrics. From 1936.

Reply #10
"Chinese OCC copper: fake or real? The SKW case"
I know it's an audiophile (suckers) channel.

The 20% sales of new bands/groups were surprising.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #11
Without wanting to watch the video, what is he actually referring to? Is the music depressing and is about mostly depressing topics or is the music depressing him because it is for him so bad? For the first point, we live in very depressing times, sometimes it feels like extremely depressing and awful. That this is influencing the music is very normal, I would be worried if there were only happy optimistic songs about flowers or other things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtQ9gu_NmA

If he don't like the music which is currently being released for the mainstream charts, I couldn't care less. I stopped paying attention to charts a while ago. There is usually nothing there for me. Others like it. And most of it will be forgotten soon also because it was never produced for that.

I don't know what he wants.

Reply #12
Okay, I watched the video now, he is not complaining about gloomy topics in music but that he simply can't connect to today's mainstream music. Me neither, but I don't make a 30 min video about it. He compares the Billboard 200 over the decades, which is just an odd measure of music quality. He thinks all people are using pirated software to create music at home and putting it on YouTube. I posted this video by Mary Spender because it is just too funny to do so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2aaa_PTRu8

I hate his take about current music so so much. It is depressing.

Reply #13
Okay, I watched the video now, he is not complaining about gloomy topics in music but that he simply can't connect to today's mainstream music. Me neither, but I don't make a 30 min video about it. He compares the Billboard 200 over the decades, which is just an odd measure of music quality. He thinks all people are using pirated software to create music at home and putting it on YouTube. I posted this video by Mary Spender because it is just too funny to do so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2aaa_PTRu8

I hate his take about current music so so much. It is depressing.

I watched this Ana(dia)log guy's video, and I found it frustrating to say the least.  I don't care for the Billboard 200.  I either like something or I don't.  The charts or rather or not it's "good enough" to be on the radio are just crappy ways of evaluating music.  Catalog music could be just about anything that's been out for a while as it's not stated what it is exactly.  I also think Mary Spender's video was much more insightful on the modern musician than this Ana(dia)log dude's 30 minute video about how modern music sucks.

Reply #14
Obviously it is a generalization around a fact.
No, it's not a fact. It's just your opinion based on unverified assumptions.

Reply #15
If music were like the one produced today I would never have bought a stereo system to listen to it, it's crap put together on the computer by people with no art in it.
Not only music - but also videos. Throw some titties, rent-a-car and fake dollar bills and you have guaranteed hit.
You two seem to have the idea that 'popular' music is all there is, apparently not looking/listening any further than what is on the radio or whatever.

Just because you don't like what is popular doesn't mean good music (whatever that may be for you) isn't being made anymore.

Looking beyond whatever is offered you by default is a good idea not just is music by the way.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #16
Is it only me or embedded Youtube videos in HA no longer plays when I click it?
Windows 7 and Chrome. "This content is blocked. Contact the site owner to fix the issue."

Seriously, Win 7 + Chrome  ???  .  You do realize your now without a browser
let alone an OS.  Worst still, chrome has a gazillion of security issues that won't be patched on win7.
Add to that ever increasing site compatibility issues that will grow as time passes by.
At least consider Firefox as it still has Win7 support and updates.

Reply #17
Thanks for confirming. I am on Win10. Win7 does not have full driver support for my i3-12100 and H610 chipset, and I stripped the built-in Edge on Win10.

Reply #18
Windows 7 and 8 are NO LONGER SUPPORTED by any CHROMIUM derived browser,
Unless you consider Mozilla or Palemoon as alternatives. Those OS's combined with
a chromium browser on the internet is a no no. Its not a question if the hardware allows
one to use Win 7 or not any more. Even Mozilla doesn't have a plan and likely ESR 115
is the last.

Reply #19
Is it only me or embedded Youtube videos in HA no longer plays when I click it? Tried on desktop Firefox with add-ons disabled (troubleshooting mode) and on a smartphone with Chromium-based browser.
So who can or can't play the embedded videos? The smartphone browser I mentioned is DuckDuckGo running on Android, and my desktop PC uses Win10 and Firefox.

Reply #20
So who can or can't play the embedded videos? The smartphone browser I mentioned is DuckDuckGo running on Android, and my desktop PC uses Win10 and Firefox.

Not working on Win 10 + Edge and Win 7 + FF 112.0.1

Reply #21

@bennetng so why haven't you asked this in Site Related Discussion ?
and NO I cannot play them either.
korth

Reply #22
IMO it's the industry part of the music industry that sucks, it's always been around but now it's easier than ever to remove artistry from the equation altogether. Same with any art that involves a lot of money, AAA video games are mostly soulless cash grabs but there's a tonne of indie stuff worth playing. Just look for the artists who would be doing it whether there was a market or not.

Reply #23
now it's easier than ever to remove artistry from the equation altogether.
On the other hand, it is easier to remove the industry from the equation altogether.
And so the amount of music released has grown substantially. This writer dug up a few estimates from various sources. By year:
2000: 35.5k albums. Author digs up Discogs figures and estimates 5000 new unique albums to enter there, suggesting that the figures are a bit ... not exact science.
2007: 54.4k physical albums plus 25k digital albums. Now if those figures are remotely comparable, it is quite a growth.
2019: close to 40k tracks uploaded every day. Sure, until "everything old" is uploaded, this isn't going to be just new music. But you would expect that the number of old ones uploaded diminishes over time ... ?
2022: Warner and Universal's CEOs estimate (reliably or not, no source given) that we have hit the mark where 100k tracks are added to online platforms daily: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/its-happened-100000-tracks-are-now-being-uploaded/

And for what it is worth, Apple claims it has 100 million tracks available - up from 70 million in just two years.
(So much for the RIAA's whining over how online availability would kill the music business ... direct from artist to consumer might of course damage their cut of the business.)

Which means that any whining in the style of  pick random released track in 2023 and random releasded track in 1973 and compare, don't you hear the decline?! would be quite ... off mark. You don't have to listen to more than a tiny fraction of what is being released even in your fave genre. You won't even have the chance to listen to more than a tiny fraction of what is being released in your fave genre - unless your "fave genre" is narrowed down to the old hipster joke about being so obscure that nobody else has heard about it, with possible exception of the artist.

And when artists can "release" draft demos and that kind of thing, it doesn't need to be much quality. It has become possible and fair game to make the following "artistic statement": Hey anyone who might be interested: these sketches are what I was working on last month ... and some I haven't even been working on, that might be taken on board if I find some use for them. There are a few such things out on Soundcloud.

Reply #24
I watched a live recording of the pianist Hania Rani (I can't recommend her music enough) in Paris and in the comments some demanded that the recording should be released as a live album. And one weird guy said, it doesn't need to be released, people will download the audio track form YouTube anyway. And I'm like, those folks who demand a live album demand it because they are willing to pay for it.