Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 Converter: Verify? (Read 1571 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 Converter: Verify?

Maybe someone could shed a light on some internals of foobar's converter:
Does it verify the converted audio file to be identical to the original file?
Of course I could add a "--verify" to FLACs parameter list when converting to FLAC - but this only makes sure the the intermediate PCM data was successfully converted to FLAC.
Is there a way to make sure that the complete process (e.g. APE -> FLAC) was bit correct (w/o using foobar's bit compare in a second step)?

Reply #1
w/o using foobar's bit compare in a second step

i don't think so.

unless the encoder throws errors (which foobar will report) there isn't much reason to suspect the files aren't going to be bit perfect copies. if this is something that you've had issues with in the past then i think you have a more serious underlying issue that needs addressing. (unstable cpu overclock, dodgy hard drive, other hardware issues, etc)

Reply #2
No, never had any complaints.
I was just considering precautions since I have a major converting process to do...

Thanks anyway...

Reply #3
unless the encoder throws errors (which foobar will report) there isn't much reason to suspect the files aren't going to be bit perfect copies. if this is something that you've had issues with in the past then i think you have a more serious underlying issue that needs addressing. (unstable cpu overclock, dodgy hard drive, other hardware issues, etc)

Not always. For example FLACCL had a bug, which could result in corrupted files even with --verify option. No error reporting on conversion, just corrupted file. http://sourceforge.net/p/cuetoolsnet/bugs/22/

Reply #4
that's a fair point. i suppose if you're messing around with the less widely used encoders like that then you'd better run foo_bitcompare just to be on the safe side.

edit: if i was converting from one format to another intending to delete the source when done, i'd always run foo_bitcompare no matter what encoder i used.