Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Policy Question - asking for Subjective Opinions (Read 3528 times) previous topic - next topic

Policy Question - asking for Subjective Opinions

Is it okay to ask for opinions and recommondations about commercial services that will un-doubtedly result in subjective answers?

Specifically, I want to ask about services that convert vinyl to digital. It's expensive enough I want opinions from people who have used these services before.

If that is beyond the scope of HA I will respect that and ask elsewhere.

Also, if allowed, is that better for Vinyl forum or Off-topic or ...?

Policy Question - asking for Subjective Opinions

Reply #1
I'm not a moderator, so this is just my "unofficial opinion". 

Is it okay to ask for opinions and recommondations about commercial services that will un-doubtedly result in subjective answers?

Specifically, I want to ask about services that convert vinyl to digital.
I think that would be OK.  Hopefully, we can all agree that different phono cartridges can sound different and if there is restoration, the restoration software and the skill of the person doing the restoration WILL make a difference.

I've done it myself, but I've never used a service.   

For click & pop removal, I use Wave Repair ($30 USD).  In the manual mode it only "touches" the audio where you identify a defect but it usually takes me a full-weekend to fix-up an LP.    I doubt you want to pay anyone to spend that kind of time.  On the other hand, it's probably not worth paying someone else to do the restoration if they aren't going to take some time to listen to what they are doing.   

Also, if allowed, is that better for Vinyl forum or Off-topic or ...?
I'd say vinyl forum.