Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis with 80gb ipod? (Read 17013 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

I have a 80GB ipod and I'm wanting to play Vorbis on it.

I know rockbox isn't supporting the 80GB at the moment, but I don't know anything about ipod linux and the 80gb, I'm not even certain it supports vorbis anyway.

What do you think my options are for this? Wait for rockbox to be released on the 80gb?

Thanks,

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #1
I think ipodlinux works on the 80GB ipod, but I hear its pretty crappy for music. 

Did you just buy the 80GB?  You could return it and get something that supports Rockbox or Ogg.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #2
Rockbox is currently being worked out for the 5.5G 80GB iPod models.  It may take some time for it to come out though.

Your best option would probably be to wait for Rockbox.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #3
I think ipodlinux works on the 80GB ipod, but I hear its pretty crappy for music. 

Did you just buy the 80GB?  You could return it and get something that supports Rockbox or Ogg.

I've had it since Christmas, I'm just having vorbis withdrawals...

I guess I'll wait for rockbox, thanks.

edit: Rockbox currently has the harddrive driver working, just it doesn't have fat drivers that will support it yet. (as far as I can understand) and the development is currently pause due to demands on peoples time.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #4
Well rockbox for the 80gb was released today, well now I get the chance to make the jump, I'm kinda scared to.

I'm using rockbox whatever happens, just I don't know if I should use vorbis or mp3 now...
Can anyone give me a hand here?

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #5
Well rockbox for the 80gb was released today, well now I get the chance to make the jump, I'm kinda scared to.

I'm using rockbox whatever happens, just I don't know if I should use vorbis or mp3 now...
Can anyone give me a hand here?

Since you are using Rockbox, you might as well use Vorbis.  If you use the mp3 format then there will be no need for you to install Rockbox.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #6
Since you are using Rockbox, you might as well use Vorbis.  If you use the mp3 format then there will be no need for you to install Rockbox.

I beg to differ, there are loads of other reasons to install rockbox... too much to list! lol
Just still worried about compatibility, battery drainage, and my libary that is in mp3!

(I love drag + "dropness")

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #7

I beg to differ, there are loads of other reasons to install rockbox... too much to list! lol
Just still worried about compatibility, battery drainage, and my libary that is in mp3!

(I love drag + "dropness")

Yeah but, in my opinion, those extra features come with a price.  A 5G 60GB iPod can play audio using Rockbox for 14-15 hours instead of the 20+ hours using the iPod firmware.  Drag-and-drop is nice but I would much rather get full use out of my iPod's battery.  Playing formats like OGG also cause more processor power to be used so the battery time is even less.  That is why I think it is better just to bite the bullet and use iTunes (or foobar2000 or any other app you want) to copy your music over.  On top of that, I have many videos that Rockbox can't play but the iPod firmware can.

This is just from my scenario though.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #8
how often do you listen to your iPod for 15 hours without recharging?

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #9

It happens, but its happens rarely, I don't think I've used it for that long since I bought it.
My last mp3 player did.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #11

Again, with my situation, a lot.  I often work night shifts where I listen to my iPod for 12-17 hours straight depending on how long my shift is.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #12
Playing formats like OGG also cause more processor power to be used so the battery time is even less.
IIRC there has been some tests re: battery usage, and ogg's supposed heavier drain is not that heavy.

Can these tests be found? I was actually under the impression that it was really heavy drain.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #13
Playing formats like OGG also cause more processor power to be used so the battery time is even less.
IIRC there has been some tests re: battery usage, and ogg's supposed heavier drain is not that heavy.

Can these tests be found? I was actually under the impression that it was really heavy drain.
Okay. Found it for ya

From this posting, I got this page.

The poster posted:
While MP3 showed about 5% longer runtime through repeated tests, I feel this number is insignificant as the 90%-10% battery discharge numbers indicate only a 1% runtime benefit for MP3.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #14

From this posting, I got this page.

These tests indicate that rockbox playing time is even worse than 15 hours. It's more like 50% of the original playing time.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #15
Well, at least it shows that on Rockbox, Ogg's playing time and MP3's playing time does not differ too much.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #16

Ogg is actually very fast.  On the Ipod, its slower only then MPC+some lossless formats, and can do real time decode at around 35MHz on an ARM7 core.  The poor ipod runtime is due to no one knowing how to disable all the onboard crap on the PP CPU used in the Ipod.

Vorbis with 80gb ipod?

Reply #17
Thanks for the links and such, I've seen that page before but I never checked the difference between runtime on mp3 and ogg.

and I just realized how bad actually the runtime is on rockbox... haha its actually kinda scary....
I'll keep rockbox, but use mp3 and the official firmware though, I get pacman, tetris ect with rockbox... haha well I'll probably use rockbox for playback when something is done about that battery!!!!

Edit: Perhaps I'll experiment with aac...