Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound check option in iTunes with lossless files (Read 2589 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound check option in iTunes with lossless files

Hello

I would like to know your opinions on the sound check option in the iTunes preferences. In my library there are only Apple lossless files (converted from Flac files). When I add new files, the volume is automatically adjusted to the same level as of the other files. Is this something you use too? Is it recommended? And can I revert it on my existing library?

Thanks!

Reply #1
It will do no harm at all to your ALAC files. Turn it on if you're happy with the results leave it on if you're unhappy simply turn it off. Your files will be unharmed. I personally think it does a very good job.

Reply #2
Is this something you use too?

I use a similar option in the audio player that I use. It's useful as it allows you to enjoy your music without having to adjust the volume each time a new song starts playing. This is especially the case if you often listen to songs from different albums one after the other (eg. by shuffling some of the music or creating a playlist etc).

The only downside of iTunes' soundcheck option is that it will only work out the average volume of each individual track, and not the overall volume of the album that the track is a part of. The end result of this is that, if you do listen to an album in its entirety, any songs that would normally sound louder or softer in relation to other tracks will no longer do so.

And can I revert it on my existing library?

The soundcheck data used by iTunes is simply stored as metadata within the audio file. So, if you turn off the sound check option, iTunes will simply ignore this information and play tracks at their original volume.
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #3
This causes no harm or changes to the files (sound/music)?

Reply #4
Soundcheck, ReplayGain, and related algorithms are stored as metadata and applied post-decoding, and therefore do not affect the audio content of your files.

Reply #5
Personally I wouldn't recommend using iTunes' Soundcheck feature.  I have experienced very mixed results where some material is far too quiet and other material simply blasts my headphones/speakers.  Out of 14 songs, about 8 would have abnormally high or low volume and not be within the other 6 tracks that were fine.  There are other options though if you are getting mixed results like I did.  You can use a program to scan the tracks using ReplayGain and convert those values to Soundcheck so iTunes can use them.  foobar2000 can do this (though from what I remember, the procedure can be a bit daunting) and there are paid programs that can do it as well.  Since I am on Mac OS X (which Apple is now calling just OS X), I bit the bullet and purchased iVolume.  I haven't had any issues with it so far and it automates the process for me.  The price is a lot higher than I wanted to pay but I highly recommend it if Soundcheck isn't working out for you and you don't want to figure things out in foobar.