Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin (Read 276876 times) previous topic - next topic

Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin

Reply #150
Yet flawless in W7/WMP12, perfect.

I'v glad to hear, because I'v tested it on XP_x86_SP3 with WMP11 (WMP9 are not supported) only. And, I think, there will be a problem on Windows x64 with 64bit WMP or even with 32bit WMP. I willl add an x64 modules to the installer in the far future if a x64 Windows will be available for me.

Quote from: jaro1 link=msg=0 date=
Some questions, what is the purpose of that proxy/stub modul bundled in installator?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd...0(v=VS.85).aspx
A DSP plug-in that implements custom interfaces and runs in the Media Foundation pipeline (either natively or wrapped) must be paired with a proxy-stub .dll file that can marshal the custom interfaces across process boundaries.

Quote from: jaro1 link=msg=0 date=
Which compiler did you use, MSVC2010?

Yes it is.
I will publish a sources of plugin at SF.NET in the near future. But the main part of source is available at http://borisgermanov.blogspot.com/2010/12/...o-dsp-plug.html with my notes about problems of Wizard generated code and of WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT playback.

Best regards.
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #151
Sorry, i didn't specify the bits of the os i've used, x86. I can't test the case of x64 systems, hope someone else could help and test it.
Thanks for an explanation about MF pipeline. 
Maybe i don't fully understand the problem with 32bit floating point wav samples in wmp, but i've tested and can confirm, that in W7/x86 the 32/192 wav audio data played back through wmp12 are definitelly filtered with bs2b, the same case with HDCD playback ("use 24-bit audio for audio CDs" enabled)
I've played back 16/24/32bit wav samples at different sample rates and 16/44, 24/96 wmal samples and as i wrote earlier, no problems yet.

Reply #152
Sorry, i didn't specify the bits of the os i've used, x86.

I've guessed.

Maybe i don't fully understand the problem with 32bit floating point wav samples in wmp, but i've tested and can confirm, that in W7/x86 the 32/192 wav audio data played back through wmp12 are definitelly filtered with bs2b, the same case with HDCD playback ("use 24-bit audio for audio CDs" enabled)
I've played back 16/24/32bit wav samples at different sample rates and 16/44, 24/96 wmal samples and as i wrote earlier, no problems yet.

Thank you for testing.
Can you try my 32bit float WAV files are made by Audacity?
http://files.mail.ru/eng?back=%2F3Z2M7O (LSine-32f-auda.wav)
http://files.mail.ru/eng?back=%2F47ZRQ5 (LSine-32fex.wav)
This files are played but not passed to my DSP on Windows XP SP3 WMP11.
About HDCD or CD playback with 24bit feature turned on: as described, CD/HDCD will be passed by 20bit, and it really passed with pWave->wBitsPerSample = 20, but samples are not 20bit, they are 24bit ??? MS surprises ;-)
I was tested this surprise by CD. My eBay ordered HDCD is not coming yet from US :-(
Anyway, thank you for HDCD test on 7.
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #153
Can you try my 32bit float WAV files are made by Audacity?
This files are played but not passed to my DSP on Windows XP SP3 WMP11.

Both these files are in W7/x86 WMP12 played back and filtered through BS2B with no problem, absolutelly flawless.
WMP11 on XP uses for formats that it directly supports (except for some situations in case of WV/W7) different pipeline as in WV/W7 and i'm surprised, that it plays back 32bit wav at all.
Though with 24bits shouldn't be a problem in WMP11 on XP:
Code: [Select]
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Media_Player_for_Windows_-_Setup_Guide#New_info_on_Windows_Media_Player_12

About HDCD playback: samples are not 20bit, they are 24bit ??? MS surprises ;-)

I don't know, maybe because of sound card drivers resolution steps support (simply only 8/16/24, all PCM streams between these values must be interpreted as a resolution directly supported and set in the system by the sound card driver).
For CD/HDCD and some audio traces in video playback, WMP12 in W7 doesn't use MF pipeline yet, in this case for audio it uses directsound (dsound.dll is active), the problem with 20bits could be related to this, despite of the fact its emulated.
IMHO HDCDs are in relation to WMP intended for direct playback only (wmp can"t rip HDCDs as 20/24 bit resolution wavs, nor interpret hdcd packets in 16bit ripped wav or wmal, to my knowledge), so if only playback, it must be "played back" with resolution supported by the driver and set in the system.

thank you for HDCD test on 7

No no, i thank you for porting this superb plugin for wmp also. I really like the principles it uses for filtering and also the way you've done it.
Filtering through TB Isone might at the end sound more pleasant (because of added ROOM and HRTF designer), but if you disable or set all settings to minimum, you get the fundament the whole vst is build on. From visual comparing of suitable test signals in audition filtered through both plugins is clear, that this fundament is much better (IMHO!!! of course) done in BS2B (very smooth time delay and frequency attenuation, much better than in TB Isone).

I know some parts of latest posts about BS2B for WMP might not belong to this thread, but the whole bs2b thread is in fb2k forum, so its up to admin.

Reply #154
Can anyone make a dumbed-down explaination on how to calculate optimal cut-off freq based on ones head size?

Reply #155
Can anyone make a dumbed-down explaination on how to calculate optimal cut-off freq based on ones head size?

Forget it, just use 3 defaults: 'Def' or 'CMoy' - for old or some records or just like I'm, 'JMeier' - if you don't like colored sound of first ones.
There is no head size only dependence. The main dependence is of a record. Next is a your preference of acoustic.
I have the Corda Arietta amplifier of J Meier with low crossfeed level of LC filters and this level is not enough for my music preferences - I prefer a little muffled bass of 'Def' in many cases.
The original crossfeeder of Bauer (next of Linkwitz) is 3db/700Hz, that they calculates for our heads ;-)
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #156

Good news. Now I know, that 32float playback is not my problem, it is problem of XP...
Yes, a 24/32bitPCM playback have no problem on XP.
And thank you, now I know, my HDCD/CD code is right for not only XP :-)
Sorry to all about WMP discuss, anyway this is another thing why programmers don't like WMP but love fb2k ;-)
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #157
Its nice, you've implemented it as a dual-mode DSP (can run nativelly in MF pipeline, not as a DMO DShow wrapper).
One small comment here, i don't know if it is a limitation of WMP audio DSP implementation possibilities or you've done it so or something else, but couldn't the sliders changes be applied in a realtime as in FB2K (now you must click to apply the changes)? It doesn't restrict me by no means, i ask only because of interest.

And thank you, now I know, my HDCD/CD code is right for not only XP :-)

No problem, is your well done work.

Sorry to all about WMP discuss, anyway this is another thing why programmers don't like WMP but love fb2k ;-)

I'm not a programmer (but i understand a code a little), but i think its not that bad with WMP DSP infrastructure either (though its quite complex and robust). As always, the beginnings are the worst, but is always good to know also other designs, FB2K is great but not the only one.

To this comment, BS2B is "cross-player" dsp, so i don't see a problem to discuss about player-specific questions.

Reply #158
I hear no effect of bs2b. What could be wrong? I've tried:
- switching off any filters in my soundcard settings (equalizer)
- three different players (foobar2000, winamp, windows media player)
- the wav-modifying software (from the tools package put on the official website)

All to no effect. What should I do?
My computer: HP dv6500se laptop with a realtek soundcard, windows vista 32-bit.

Reply #159
I gave it a careful listen today and it turns out bs2b actually works i.e. I hear a slight difference but is barely noticeable, even with all the sliders maxed out. What do i do?

Reply #160
I gave it a careful listen today and it turns out bs2b actually works i.e. I hear a slight difference but is barely noticeable, even with all the sliders maxed out. What do i do?

That's actually funny as the BS2B is regarded as having an effect that is too strong and changes the audio too much compared to other crossfeeds.

Dolby headphone is by far the heaviest for audio processing so try that next. There is a wrapper for foobar2000 out there for it.

Reply #161
Well, of course it might be just me but I think it's a lot more possible that there's something wrong with my computer or sound card.

Reply #162
Well, of course it might be just me but I think it's a lot more possible that there's something wrong with my computer or sound card.

May be soundcard's amplifier with headphones...
What is your headphones?
Or, if you sure in your hi-ends, just check yourself:
just get play one channel audio file (without crossfeeder) and hear opposite phone - if you hear -30~40dB :-) it's bad.
bs2b is designed for hi-fi ends.
Anyway, if you are not fatigue by superstereo effect by your headphones - you are not need any crossfeeder.
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #163
I love your plugin (I use foobar). Is it possible to have one or two more versions?

- Windows application (for all windows sounds)
- Google Chrome plugin / extension

The reason for my request is; I want to use the binaural DSP with music streaming services (Spotify, MOG) and games, too.

Best regards
N

Reply #164
I love this plugin - I use it every day.  Can you tell me, is it optimized for quality or speed?  I mean, is there room for improvement in the filters used?

Reply #165
I love this plugin - I use it every day.  Can you tell me, is it optimized for quality or speed?  I mean, is there room for improvement in the filters used?

Any improvements, like dithering, can be applied to 8,16 bit sample handlers. But there is no case for foobar2k or VST plug-ins.
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #166
Thank you very much for the reply, and thanks again for the wonderful plug-in

Reply #167
i think it's a very relaxing plugin.
could you tell us which other DSP's to use to achieve best results (and which order) ?

Right now i use: SOX resampler -> Bauer -> Hard Limiter -6    and nothing else (only of course ASIO4ALL)

my system: win7 64bit - sonicweld diverter - dac - headphone

thanks

Reply #168
Hi Boris - thanks for making both the source and the plugin for Foobar - been using it for some time and find it an excellent addition.

I am a developer for XBMC, an open-source, free and multi-platform HTPC media center. I've ported your calculations to be included in XBMC if that is okay with you. I note that your source is published under the GNU-compatible MIT license. We publish all our code here under the GPL v2 license, which is also GNU compatible. Just wanted to get your permission to include this in XBMC published under the GPL license, supplied with our software and included in the header of each source file.

I have acknowledged your code work in the headers, and the port source can be viewed here.

Cheers,
DDDamian
Team XBMC

Reply #169
I note that your source is published under the GNU-compatible MIT license. We publish all our code here under the GPL v2 license, which is also GNU compatible. Just wanted to get your permission to include this in XBMC published under the GPL license, supplied with our software and included in the header of each source file.

ok, welcome.
I'v choose the MIT license especially for a maximum freedom...
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #170
On that note: I made a bs2b AudioUnit for use on OS X: https://github.com/MagisterLeoninus/bs2b-au

Place the bs2b-au.component file in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ and you should be able to use it with your favorite host application (I only tested it in AU Lab though).

You could then for example use Soundflower or jackosx to pipe all your audio through AU Lab with the bs2b plugin loaded and enjoy the crossfeed-goodness.

Cheers
Leo

Reply #171
May you please update Audacious and / or XMMS plugin? I loved your plugin for foobar2000 so much, but since I'm on Linux I can no longer benefit from your superb work.

Thank you, Daniel from Czech rep.

Reply #173
It's been 5 years. Still love this plugin. I started with Jan Meier's configuration for portable use as my main amp grace m902 has his xfeed (Took me long enough to findout since there's no preset back then). After owning speakers system, I changed back to default configuration

Reply #174
I've been using this for five years. Must have for headphone users who love speakers stereo image. Will you consider making this for Android DSP plugin?