Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_shpeck (Read 726292 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #450
I'm using the latest version of foo_vis_shpeck, with AVS v2.82, and something seems to be broken. I can view most visualizations fine, but it appears that the visualizations aren't registering music that I play, but rather they are being fed random data. For example, when I select the seismogrid visualization (one of the default ones that comes with winamp, under community picks) the visualization goes crazy (as if it were playing really really loud white noise) even when I stop all music from playing. Normal functionality would just have a flat surface for this visualization.

Another example where something is clearly wrong is if I select the visualization 'goldie' (another one of the defaults), it's really really slow and all of the columns (which would normally act like spectrum bars) extend beyond the screen, even when I'm not playing music-- they should be flat at 0 when no music is playing.

What can I do to fix this problem?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #451
nvm, I did a bit more testing and it appears to be a problem with AVS v2.82

Installing AVS v2.81d fixed the problem.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #452
I have always been snooping around this site (in years) but never really had to post something because most of my answer were answered in previous posts. (Yeah you guys, and this community are just that good.)

Anyways in light of this great add-on for foobar plugin which is a godsend.. thanks I really want to donate to the author of this plugin. I just haven't seen any such option. Main reason as this has been attempted many many time but never found on that worked just as well as this and think this is actually worth something.

in any case the real reason I registered is because of this in the readme provided.

Code: [Select]
AVS and Milkdrop 1 are not compatible with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and can
   randomly crash on systems where it's active.

Being the case that I'm running on Vista x64 DEP is active all the time. So bummer, my attempt to run the vis would end up with a error with foobar crashing after.
This is turned out for the most part to be true.. I really like milkdrop 1 and really don't care for the extras in milkdrop 2. In fact I actually perfer the look of milkdrop 1 look, and the low resources it takes. So I kept looking and looking for a way to fix the DEP problem. I tried to turn off DEP on Foobar but foobar is compiled in such a way that it tells windows not to allow it to be. So next I look into downloading milkdrop knockoffs that work in winamp (projectm) and it worked but then it refused to attach to the panel I made for it in foobar. The projectm plugin was also lacking a lot of features and woudln't change presets on its own without unlocking it from its menu. So well that sucked. Then I found a version if Milkdrop 1.05 beta from a user in winamp forum. It would crash also.. (Dang) So I figured Winamp developer must of know about the problem (as vista x64 was out already) so I searched on google again this time to search release logs of winamp.

Winamp 5.5 Full Beta 1550
* Fixed: [vis_milk] Milkdrop DEP incompatibility

BINGO, then found that before Milkdrop 2 came out that that it was fixed at some point in some betas but in the final just decided to release 2.0. Winamp 5.5 beta talked about DEP fix but in Winamp 5.5 Final Milkdrop 2.0 was released. So I hunted for the last 5.5 beta to be released and found that it came with the old milkdrop with the DEP problem FIXED... So to a long Make a long story short I found one that work.. Its called Milkdrop 1.04L and it was found in the last beta of "Winamp 5.5 Full Beta 1600" so google it and download it from filehippo. While the problem was fixed in 1550 I did find that the 1600 version was binary different from it. it was good to see more fixes were done in later betas before they just decided to drop it all together and announce and release Milkdrop 2.

Winamp 5.5 Full Beta 1600 on Filehippo

So now I have a smooth low resource milkdrop 1 within Foobar. and it works great.

BTW you don't have to install winamp to get to the files. I never once installed winamp. I just used a extractor called PeaZip to extract the files from the installer.

I'm providing a small mirror for the files. in zip/7zip/rar

please only download the smallest file supported by your file extractor.

Temp File Share

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #453
Well I hackfixed the DEP problem myself, see this post (also disables the "You can't start MD without music playing" nag message, I think). Great to see there is some original & official solution to this!
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #454
yeah I just noticed that 1.04L doesn't need the "no music playing" HEX Edit ether, a extra bonus yeah. As for your DEP fix... lol, yeah how'd I miss that.. funny, I thought I search everywhere.. I mean it took hours to find this and you already had your solution. Guess its good that I somehow missed that post, after reading every page I thought.

as far as I can tell 1.04L works great, no crashes and no issues except that the F1 Menu doesn't show in vis, but everything else does, change rating, open playlist from inside vis. Even works as autostart (no audio on start), just be sure if you have auto start turned on for the vis and try to edit it setting through the properties that it will just create a black box in the vis window.. turn off auto start, then turn off the vis if you need to get to the config window. just a small quirk I noticed.

Also for those who many already have a older milkdrop 1.04 be sure to click the refresh so that shpeck can pick up the new version number. without it I wasn't able to get shpeck to open the 1.04L configure window to open as it was still thinking 1.04 original was still there. Shpeck doesn't seem auto refresh the available plugins unless there is new or missing files in the plugin folder (file size/date didn't trigger the refresh). at least in my case.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #455
Shpeck doesn't seem auto refresh the available plugins unless there is new or missing files in the plugin folder (file size/date didn't trigger the refresh).
Yeah, there are no automatic checks on each start, because loading random plugin DLLs is costly. One exception is to remove plugins with missing files, so that it's obvious when that happens.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #456
With Shpeck I am unable to configure any of the settings for Milkdrop 2.1. In the configuration window there are no display adapters listed for any of the 3 display modes and any changes I make to anything do not apply. When I come back they are the same (default). When I open up Winamp my video card is displayed and I can apply whatever changes I want. These changes do not affect MilkDrop within Shpeck/foobar2000. I am on Windows 7 64-bit.

On a side note, everything appears to work just fine including sticking it in a UI panel. To be honest I only want to change the framerate and would be happy enough if I had to edit a file somewhere.

EDIT: I stole the 4 .ini files from \%appdata%\Winamp\Plugins and threw them in the \Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins folder. After the move there is still no display adapter listed and I am unable to change any settings. However, I can now see the changes I made in Winamp. Does this component not search the application data folder of Winamp for saved settings?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #457
It can't update settings probably because of UAC - Program Files are protected and any file access needs administartor elevation.

Does this component not search the application data folder of Winamp for saved settings?
Should it? I don't know, I haven't really used Winamp for ages, seems natural though. Returning "%appdata%\Winamp" as ".ini directory" should do the job I guess, will fix that in the next release, thanks.
(To portable mode users: I know about you, the necessary checkbox is planned too.)

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #458
It can't update settings probably because of UAC - Program Files are protected and any file access needs administartor elevation.

Does this component not search the application data folder of Winamp for saved settings?
Should it? I don't know, I haven't really used Winamp for ages, seems natural though. Returning "%appdata%\Winamp" as ".ini directory" should do the job I guess, will fix that in the next release, thanks.
(To portable mode users: I know about you, the necessary checkbox is planned too.)

You are right about the UAC; running as admin worked fine. I'm still in the XP mindset. Would you recommend disabling it completely or setting the shortcut to open foobar2000 as an administrator?

Milkdrop 2.1 at this point saves its configs in the appdata folder. As a new user of Shpeck, would I be correct in saying that you must point it to a directory containing a file named Winamp.exe and a folder named Plugins? I'm wanting to save Milkdrop so I won't have to install Winamp again until it is updated.

On a side note, thank you for making such a solid winamp vis plugin component for foobar2000.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #459
Would you recommend disabling it completely or setting the shortcut to open foobar2000 as an administrator?
No don't. Either just change permissions on that directory, or copy the relevant files elsewhere and point Shpeck just there, see below.

Milkdrop 2.1 at this point saves its configs in the appdata folder. As a new user of Shpeck, would I be correct in saying that you must point it to a directory containing a file named Winamp.exe and a folder named Plugins? I'm wanting to save Milkdrop so I won't have to install Winamp again until it is updated.
The "winamp.exe" check is there just as a visual aid when choosing the folder. Advanced users commonly use dummy zero-sized winamp.exe with Plugins folder containing just vis_milk2.dll and others. Also you can shift+click on the [...] button and enter any path you want directly, even relative to the foobar2000.exe folder (e.g. ".\Winamp").

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #460
I use Shpeck for seeing which song is played in foobar by Rainmeter - now I have nice info on my desktop, with play/stop/prev/next buttons, and all that works just nice!

However, this dos NOT work in Google Talk - when I choose "Show current music track", my status is set to "Available"

Any idea how to fix this? It was OK with foo_winamp_spam, but it doesn't work with newer versions of foobar

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #461
Uses IPC_WRITEPLAYLIST command, which I thought was old, unreliable and useless. I'll add support for it in the next version.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #463
May I say that the Shpeck plugin is absolutely wonderful!  Thank you.

I would like to provide you all with the following, the 2.1 beta of the MilkDrop 2 plugin; in this zip file is everything you need to run Shpeck and MilkDrop 2 (you will not need to install Winamp).

Once downloaded, extract the folder "Winamp" to your program files folder, or wherever you choose, then copy (do not move) nscrt.dll to Foobar's directory (not into the components folder).  Ensure you have Shpeck looking in the right directory (again, C:\Program Files\Winamp or wherever you've chosen) and refresh the list; you should see MilkDrop 2.1 listed.

Alternately, you can overwrite your current vis_milk2.dll with the one in this archive.

The plugin appears to work smoothly and in full with Shpeck 0.3.5 at this time; however, and especially as this is a beta version of MilkDrop 2, may I advise that you back up any previous version, and please realize that you use this at your own risk.

http://rapidshare.com/files/283327823/Milkdrop_2.1b.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns, and enjoy.

Thanks again to Yirkha and all those who helped!

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #464
...then copy (do not move) nscrt.dll to Foobar's directory (not into the components folder).
Just a sidenote, I think this shouldn't be needed anymore since I changed the DLL search order, leaving it next to the vis_milk2.dll should be enough.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #465
Hi all, a small update is up, mainly because of the annoying first item in the changelog.

Shpeck v0.3.6
(obsolete links removed)

Changelog:
  • Fixed: Occasional crash when closing a Shpeck panel in CUI.
  • Fixed: Plugin windows z-order follows foobar2000's main window.
  • Fixed: Paths are canonicalized now (e.g. relative "..\Winamp" doesn't change when current directory is changed by other component).
  • New: Implemented IPC_WRITEPLAYLIST.
  • Warning: Google Talk works now, but be sure that registry value [font= "Courier New"]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Winamp\(Default)[/font] points to the same directory as you have set in Shpeck's preferences, otherwise it just hangs up because of some bug on their side.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #467
Thanks for the update. Strangely, I'm encountering a milkdrop error that didn't exist before, and I'm wondering if you could help me diagnose it...

Here's a picture: 

Just for the record, my hardware is a 9800gtx+, which definitely supports shader model 3. Also, I'm using forceware 186, so I don't think it's a driver issue.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #468
Shpeck itself does never come close to plugin's graphics output or anything, so I can't help you with that.
I don't know why the shader compilation fails, are you sure you successfully used exactly the same preset before or didn't accidentally modify it?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #469
Wierd. I didn't modify any presets... To my knowledge, the only changes were component updates - I updated foo_dumb, and foo_vis_shpeck, and possibly some others.

What modification on my end would trigger such an error?

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #470
I upgraded to forceware 190, but the problem persists... 

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #471
Look, the message says MilkDrop tried to compile a SM3.0 shader and failed. Shpeck only provides path where to load the presets from, a window to show the output in and calls some high-level function from the plugin for it to do its job. From that on, it's all up to MD itself, it then initializes Direct3D, creates a rendering path, compiles the shader, all on its own. It should have (or simply has) no interaction whatsoever with the host at that point, so if anything made a difference, something is really buggy.

My remark about modified presets was just a guess, along the lines that damaged/modified/invalid shader file could yield the same notice about compilation error, but I tried that now and it looks different.

I've sent you a PM with link to Shpeck 0.3.5, so you can try the previous version. And see that there really is no difference, hopefully.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #472
Thanks for 3.5-- it works just fine.

Unfortunately, I noticed that the error doesn't occur every time I start fb2k; in fact, I can't determine a pattern or cause for the error. All I can say is that sometimes 3.6 works; sometimes it doesn't. BUT, I did discover a few things that might be helpful.
A) It wasn't only shpeck I updated. I also replaced MD2.0 with MD2.1...
B) Reverting back to shpeck 3.5 fixed the errors. So I can say with certainty that 3.5 works with both MD2.0 and MD2.1.
C) Although it's admittedly very unscientific, I launched/closed fb2k 5 times to coax errors. With shpeck 3.6 I received errors three times. With shpeck 3.5 I received no errors.
D) I reverted to MD2.0 for additional testing, but obtained the same results: 3.5 does not produce errors, but 3.6 does.

I hope the above helps... I checked the console after failed shpeck initializations but it contained no error log.

Also, here's another picture. I get this after I say OK to the screenshot in the previous post:

Again, Thanks. Shpeck is an awesome component and I'm glad to see it working again, even if it is the older version. I'll post back if I discover anything more conclusive than "oh noes, no pretty pixels - I better restart fb2k" and "voila - it worked this time - yay pretty pixels." I have this hunch that I didn't completely revert milkdrop or something, because I assume that you tested successfully with MD2.0.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #473
OK, I've solved it. Thanks a lot for the latter screenshot. It was no problem with the graphics system at all, but a problem with file paths: see it tried to load \Plugins\milkdrop2\data\include.fx instead of <whatever-path-to-your-winamp-directory>\Plugins\..., so the first error message really is misleading (as I thought with the damaged presets or something).

I have this hunch that I didn't completely revert milkdrop or something, because I assume that you tested successfully with MD2.0.
I did test even with MD2.1 and could not reproduce this, it needs some special timing during startup to show up. That's also why it didn't happen every time to you. So thanks for testing!

Shpeck v0.3.7
foo_vis_shpeck.dll (237 KB)
foo_vis_shpeck-0.3.7.zip (121 KB)
mirror

Changelog:
  • Fixed: Wrong Winamp directory path sometimes given to the plugin during initialization, introduced in the previous version.

foo_vis_shpeck

Reply #474
Thanks for the fix!