Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Serial number tag, foreign characters in EAC/FLAC/Foobar (Read 2135 times) previous topic - next topic

Serial number tag, foreign characters in EAC/FLAC/Foobar

Hello all-

I am using EAC, the included version of FLAC, Musicbrainz (for classical), and Foobar.  Two questions:

1. I would like to serially number my albums so that I can easily retrieve the jewel boxes in order to read the inserts for lyrics and other performance details.  The number would appear on the boxes and in my database, to be displayed during playback.  But I don't see how I can create a field for this and enter the number in the ripping/tagging process.  (ID3 tags are a no-no). Would I use the comment tag?  Is there a way of creating new tags that all three programs can use?  At what point in the process would I enter the serial number?

2. I listen to mostly classical recordings, which often have foreign (to Anglophones) characters in titles and composers names. I have Unicode on my computer.  From what I read, EAC does not recognize Unicode, and instead gibberish is displayed.  How can I get these characters into the database so that I can ultimately display them correctly in FLAC?
Is the only alternative to directly edit the saved filenames?

As far as I can tell, FreeDB does not use foreign characters, but classical music is more accurately indexed on Musicbrainz, which does support these characters.

Much obliged.