Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible to register titleformatfunction ($something) with foo_ma (Read 5523 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to register titleformatfunction ($something) with foo_ma

As the topic says, is it possible to register/assign/bind a dollar function (e.g. $grouptracks(a,b)) by using the foo_managedwrapper?
Also, a %function% would work just fine...

And dont tell me "thats not what titleformatting is for etc... Im the only one whos gonna use this component, so no worries 

btw, using VB.NET if it has any relevance
Foobar2000 @ Onkyo SE-90PCI @ Sennheiser HD595 :)

Reply #1
You'll be able to do at most what you could do with a native component, which means you cannot add global title formatting functions.

Reply #2
I guess this is the reason cwb_hooks isnt developed anymore...
Why did you remove the ability to do this, its a great feature if you ask me...

Reply #3
Official announcement (pinned in this forum)

Reply #4
If you wish to support fields and functions provided through metadb_display_hooks in your component, you will need to implement a titleformat_hook that calls the metadb_display_hook instances.

Wouldnt a titleformat_hook do the trick in my case then?
Or has all this been completely deprecated?

Reply #5
No, title formatting hooks can only be used if your component owns the title formatting object that is evaluated. Think of a playlist viewer, for example, which allows users to define custom column formats. The playlist viewer makes the call to evaluate the format, and could add its own functions there. A popular example is $set_style() in Columns UI.

The limitation is that you cannot make functions available to other components.

May I ask what "$grouptracks(a,b)" is supposed to achieve?

Reply #6
ok, no sharing of functions... sort of makes sense i guess...

$grouptracks(a,b) was just something i made up
What i sort of meant what a function that returned an integer of amount of tracks in a playlist group...

The way im doing it now is that i use auto tracknumber on all the files in a folder, then use the %totaltracks% variable, but its inconvenient because i have to retag all the files when i add some new tracks

This is how it is now:

Reply #7
What i sort of meant what a function that returned an integer of amount of tracks in a playlist group...

Even with the ability to add global title formatting functions, this would be impossible.

If and how tracks are grouped is entirely up to the playlist viewer and not part of the foobar2000 API.

Reply #8
There was this one component which could do it (foo_funcs or something), but it doesnt work anymore because of whats discussed in this thread...

But this made me think, what about a $put/$puts that goes across "sessions"... By sessions, i mean songs, so that i could sort of make this work:

$if($strcmp($substr(%filename%,0,1),a), $pput(nameindex, $add($pget(nameindex), 1)))

$pput/$pget = permanent put/get
So that for every file that starts with a, the first file gets an index of 1, next is 2, 3 and so on...
And then we get to b, the index resets (not in the example code above), and starts at 1 again

All by adding two simple functions... Permanent get and permanent put

Reply #9
  • That assumes that the formatting is evaluated once per song and in order
  • It also assumes that all tracks are evaluated
  • It also assumes that there's some way to clean out those "permanent" variables
  • All of the above are not guaranteed in any way and will most likely be broken constantly
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #10
Maybe proposing a feature request for playlist-only fields like %list_group_index% and %list_group_count% would have better chance than inventing hacks which can't possibly work.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #11
Exactly