Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Suggestions for a sub that would pair nicely with Edifier R1855DB speakers? (Read 1541 times) previous topic - next topic

Suggestions for a sub that would pair nicely with Edifier R1855DB speakers?

I bought these because they had a reasonable price of AU$170 and features I like. They sound excellent for the price point and I'm super happy with them. But now I'm looking for a sub to pair with them. One of the features I was after was the ability to add a sub later on directly to the spears, they have a "sub out" port. I'm unsure what to buy though, considering the price I paid for the speakers, what would be reasonable to spend on a sub? About the same amount? For instance looking at Edifier's own site, their only real standalone sub for this sort of thing is the T5, which is about AU250 shipped to Australia. IS it normal for the sub to cost more that the speakers themselves? Are there other brands or price points I should be looking at?

Re: Suggestions for a sub that would pair nicely with Edifier R1855DB speakers?

Reply #1
I don't have a recommendation.

IS it normal for the sub to cost more that the speakers themselves?
That's not unusual.   Bass is harder to reproduce than mid & highs.   It requires more power, and our ears are less sensitive to bass.     So it requires a bigger amplifier, a bigger driver, and usually a bigger cabinet and that all adds to the cost.  

If you want realistic bass that you can feel in your body you'll probably need at-least a 12-inch woofer, but there's more to speaker design than size.    If you can visit an audio-video store it would be worthwhile to get an idea of what's available and what you want.