Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Split file with PCM float samples by cuesheet (Read 1718 times) previous topic - next topic

Split file with PCM float samples by cuesheet

Hello!
I have a vinyl album rip in form of WAV audio file together with a matching cuesheet. The audio file is mono 96 KHz with samples in PCM 32-bit floating point format. I would like to split it into individual tracks. Unfortunately my usual tool of choice shntool refuses to work with float samples:
Code: [Select]
shnsplit: warning: unsupported format 0x0003 (IEEE Float) while processing file: [audio.wav]
shnsplit: warning: none of the builtin format modules handle input file: [audio.wav]
shnsplit: error: cannot continue due to error(s) shown above
I know I could change the sample format to integer with something like ffmpeg but I'd prefer something that can work with float samples natively if possible. I also noticed that Opus encoder is able to take this file as input without any problems. Do you know other good splitters I can use for this task? (preferably ones supporting Linux)

Re: Split file with PCM float samples by cuesheet

Reply #1
I've not tried either, but they may help:

Deflacue
Flacon

Reply #2
Deflacue
Just tried it but it changed sample format to 24-bit integer probably because it outputs to FLAC

Original:
Input #0, wav, from 'N_SLICHENKO_M.wav':
  Duration: 00:39:07.14, bitrate: 3072 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_f32le ([3][0][0][0] / 0x0003), 96000 Hz, 1 channels, flt, 3072 kb/s
After splitting:
Input #0, wav, from '01 - Малярка.wav':
  Duration: 00:01:28.20, bitrate: 2304 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: pcm_s24le ([1][0][0][0] / 0x0001), 96000 Hz, mono, s32 (24 bit), 2304 kb/s

Reply #3
foobar2000. Works on Linux under Wine.

Reply #4
Deflacue
Just to add to the above it didn't even get the cut points right. Apparently it is confused by not typical sample format.

Flacon

Doesn't seem to mangle sample format but produces a broken WAV files nonetheless
[wav @ 0x55cfe46a29c0] no 'data' tag found
02. Мороз.wav: Invalid data found when processing input
I also tried selecting Opus as output but it resulted in error during conversion
/usr/bin/sox FAIL formats: can't open input  `-': wave header error: wExtSize inconsistent with wFmtLen

foobar2000. Works on Linux under Wine.
Success! Thanks. It's good to have mature software at hand.

Reply #5
I use foobar myself and it was the first to come to mind, but didn't suggest it because you had requested Linux (even though I know foobar can run under Wine). I'll know for next time to just shout out foobar lol :P

Reply #6
I'd say native (for me also command line) solution is always preferred. It's unfortunate that shntool is no longer developed as this thread showed it still has place for improvement.

Reply #7
tracksplit command of python-audio-tools (https://github.com/tuffy/python-audio-tools) is a handy nice tool that can split tracks according to cuesheet.
Unfortunately, it doesn't support conversion from 32bit input. Maybe you could ask the author about it.

And if you are OK with wine, you could also try refalac64.exe (use -D switch to let it encode to wav file).
It's just a simple CLI program with a lot less dependencies on Windows system DLLs compared to foobar2k.