Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: copy-paste problem of fields with multiple instances of a track (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic

copy-paste problem of fields with multiple instances of a track

i know the title of this message alone is confusing, so please bear with with me since, when it does hit me, i often loose a lot of information.

i find it difficult to describe exactly what the problem is so i hope that an example will clarify it all:

suppose i have a bunch of tracks with with very little title (or the opposite very complicated) info. than it's less work to copy a title with almost the exact right information multiple times, paste it and edit it afterwards.
if i do that i occasionally loose the field information in fields of the targeted tracks.
let me give you an example:

i have 3 tracks by anna moffo (form: track. artist - title):

01. Anna Moffo - Aria A
02. Anna Moffo - Aria B
03. Anna Moffo - Aria C

i have 1 track with more title information, copied 3 times in the playlist (form: track. artist - title):

01. Maria Callas - Rigoletto, Opera In 3 Acts - Aria A; Aria B; Aria C; Aria D

now when i select the 3 instances of this track, select properties en copy the title field in the metadata window, i lose the entire title field information when pasting the title field in the targeted tracks.
the result being:

01. Anna Moffo - Rigoletto, Opera In 3 Acts - Aria A; Aria B; Aria C; Aria D
02. ... (field completely lost)
03. ... (field completely lost)

now you can say just select the source track one time, but the problem arises mostly when working with larger lists, where sometimes the same track gets pasted a few times by accident in the same list.

update:
just as i am prepairing this message i find that this problem does not not arise with all audio files, so i upload a file which has behaves as aspected and one which does not.

note 1: the problem seems not te be related to audio-format; both uploads are flac files converted to mp3.
note 2: it is also not related to file-size, since i found a well behaving flac file which is too large to upload.
note 3: the problem is easily verficated by copy-pasting 1 file in the playlist a few times and than selecting all those instances in the list and open the properties metadata dialog window. the ill behaving file shows the <<<multiple values>>> tag.
note 4: when copy-pasting a (1) field in an ill behaving source-file can result in losing all standard fields in the target track.
note 5: this problem did not exist prior to the 1.4 update of foorbar2000

hope you can help.

db