Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 523492 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #125
Ok, I have worked this out.  From now on, it'll run on both Windows and Wine without vcredist requirment.

As with the previous bugfix, I'll leave this one for the next release. Feel free to PM if you need the new version now.

Reply #126
Is there any way to adjust the latency for the VST adapter?
Just trying this out with Antares Auto-Tune Evo..and there is quite some delay for some tracks.
Maybe thats just due to the Auto-Tune being so intensive...not sure.

EDIT: NVM, was told elsewhere FB2K's architecture is not designed for such use.

Reply #127
Ok, I have worked this out.  From now on, it'll run on both Windows and Wine without vcredist requirment.

As with the previous bugfix, I'll leave this one for the next release. Feel free to PM if you need the new version now.

Thank you so much both to you and to foofun! I can't wait to try it at home!

Cheers

Reply #128
Excellent plugin, I love it!

I'm having a problem with Isone Pro Surround, which is a 6 in/2 out plugin. (looks like it is no longer available. Just the updated stereo version at http://www.toneboosters.com/ ) When I switch to a stereo file after playing a 5.1 file, there is stuttering playback. It sounds like the last little bit of the 5.1 file is being constantly repeated after switching to a stereo file.

Steps to reproduce:
Have a stereo file and a 5.1 file in a playlist
Have Isone Pro Surround VST plugin enabled through this VST adapter
Play the 5.1 file and verify that it is playing back correctly with no audio stuttering
While the 5.1 file is playing, double click on the stereo file in your playlist to start it playing back

Results:
The stereo file will play, along with a repeating, stuttering bit of the 5.1 file.

I've tried this on two systems, one on Win7 64 bit and DS playback. The other on XP 32 bit and ASIO playback. Similar results on both machines.

If I insert channel mixer and convert everything to 6 channels before Isone Pro Surround, there is no stuttering.

Please let me know if you need more info to help resolve this stuttering problem.

Thanks.

Reply #129
Well, if the VST plug-in expects six channels and you feed it only two channels, problems are to be expected. I also use Isone Pro Surround but it never came to my mind to use it with only two channels. I used Channel Mixer right from the start.

Reply #130
Generally, yes, it's as Hancoque said. But I'll improve internal upmixing. I think it won't be difficult. Thanks for the report.

Reply #131
Well, if the VST plug-in expects six channels and you feed it only two channels, problems are to be expected. I also use Isone Pro Surround but it never came to my mind to use it with only two channels.

It works without problems in all my other two-channel scenarios--including Foobar2000 when I feed it two channels to start with. Its just when I go from a 6 channel file down to a 2 channel file where the problem occurs.

But thanks to Entrase for looking into this, and I've just got to say thanks again for making this plugin.

Reply #132
I'm a little late with my update but I think I got similar problem to what tarsier reported maybe.

"Output number limit" is set to 6

I start 16ch bidule with some upmixer - result distortion, statics...

Lets take some other VST - 6ch DTS Neural UpMix VST - at first seems fine, it outputs 7ch instead 6ch and I guess that's because 7th pin in this VST is not a channel but it's pin says "Latency in samples". However it sounds fine. But when I put Channel mixer DSP distortion comes again and even more take a look at this picture:

Even another VST - Voxengo Elephant 8in/8out: Channel mixer after this VST doesn't have effect. OTOH Channel mixer (set to 4ch) before this VST outputs 6ch instead 4ch, where front L/R seem fine, and then sL/sR are outputted on 3rd and 4th and same channels again on 5th and 6th channel

I guess this sounds confusing, but that's what I see happening. I tried to get back on good old 0.5 version (as it's only backup I have) then foobar complains:

Sorry: You have an outdated beta version of dsp_vst component. Loading will be refused.

PS Maybe it is not such bad idea to offer link to previous component version when it's development is that dynamic. As with drag&drop installation I doubt anyone is making any backup copy before installing

[edit] corrected before and after

Reply #133
First set declicker size to zero. The distortion should disappear. I work on getting Bidule working with the declicker.
Exit foobar, start again with Neural UpMix. Plays fine, then I add Channel mixer DSP (which is set to up/down mix to 4ch) and now I get 1ch output
Does that Neural UpMix work fine alone? How many channels does it have on the output?
Voxengo Elephant 8in/8out: Channel mixer after this VST doesn't have effect
I've tried the Voxengo Span (which is 8/8 too) and everything seems fine.
good old 0.5
I wouldn't say so :) Btw, there were no changes in the channel limitation logic. Besides, I didn't keep source codes of versions below 0.7 as I just scratched the surface without organizing the work. So there will be no v0.5 that is enabled to operate after 01/01/2011.

There will be per-instance channel limitation in the next version:

May be it'll help :)

Reply #134
Hello,
I've just installed this plugin and loaded Voxengo SPAN (volume and frequency metering). When I load it, memory usage of foobar increases from 13MB to 30MB (after loading GUI to 80MB!). It's not a big problem. The main issue is very slow responding of plugin's GUI. CPU usage of foobar is around 1-2% (and whole system around 3%). It is vst plugin case or vst host? Maybe could it be solved?

PROBLEM SOLVED: I had to delete Strip Silence plugin. In any place in chain (pre or post) it was slowing down vst GUI.

But there is another problem. I assigned shortcut to DSP Config #1. It works great only at first use. When I close plugin window (Voxengo SPAN) and use shortcut again, I hear sound (so plugin chain have to work), but plugin looks like it's not receiving signal. When I use View/DSP/PluginName it works great, so I think it's problem of loading plugin by keyboard shortcut. I tried a few shortcuts to make sure that it's issue of loading by shortcut.

Reply #135
Memory and CPU usage is up to the VST plug-in.
I assigned shortcut to DSP Config #1. It works great only at first use.
Yes, I was already told about this bug. It'll be fixed in the next version.

Reply #136
Hm, don't know how to explain this, but now everything is fine. In the meantime my PC was restarted (yeah, sounds lame, but hey

[a href="http://i54.tinypic.com/xq9xt5.png" target="_blank"]

There will be per-instance channel limitation in the next version:

nice idea, thanks

Reply #137
Might be good improvement to add shortcut Escape key to close plugin window and then (other improvement) vsthost will switch window to last focused window of all foobar/plugins windows.

By the way, great plugin!

Reply #138
(sorry can't edit post)
And other improvement, to remember position of plugin windows. Now plugin window is opened in fixed position depending on foobar window position.

Reply #139
I'll add Esc support to VST plug-in windows but suggestion of remembering positions is impossible to implement due to FB2K API limitations (DSP components create and handle their config dialogs themselves and there is no external control over them).

Reply #140
I have tried to load iZotope Ozone 4 and it failed to load: The file doesn't appear to be VST DLL (no entry procedure).

Reply #141
It's also quite messy with Spectralive: with Yohng's one you could choose which preset to load from a dropdown menu, here not and it – turns off one whole headphone and sends bizarre, pulsating signals through it!    It works at first, but when you switch to a different song, it goes bust.

Reply #142
I have tried to load iZotope Ozone 4 and it failed to load: The file doesn't appear to be VST DLL (no entry procedure).

You are probably loading the wrong file ('iZOzone4.dll'). You must load 'iZotope Ozone 4.dll'.

Reply #143
I did, precisely that one. And it made foobar crash.

Reply #144
Congratulations Entrase,

1000 downloads!

Reply #145
Thanks  Unfortunately, I'm too busy at the moment to work on the adapter. A few more weeks I guess.
It works at first, but when you switch to a different song, it goes bust.
Try setting Delicker size to 0 in the advanced preferences section.

Reply #146
Thanks for this  plugin.

Is it possible to modify the plugin to support 7.1 output ? 

That would be great.

Reply #147
Preferences → Advanced → VST → Output ... = 8. Keep in mind that VST must support 7.1 output as well.

Reply #148
Thanks  Unfortunately, I'm too busy at the moment to work on the adapter. A few more weeks I guess.
It works at first, but when you switch to a different song, it goes bust.
Try setting Delicker size to 0 in the advanced preferences section.

That worked.  Thank you.

Ozone is now saying that it "failed to load", whatever that means, and I was wondering how do I make sure the VST keeps the settings I choose after I open foobar again? As I said, Spectra doesn't offer that dropdown with presets and availability to save a new one. 

Reply #149
Preferences ? Advanced ? VST ? Output ... = 8. Keep in mind that VST must support 7.1 output as well.

Do you mean "Limit number of outputs for VST-Effects"?

When I change the number to 8 and use a 7.1 VST-Effect the error Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 8 channels appears.