Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: real ipod competitor (Read 14220 times) previous topic - next topic

real ipod competitor

Reply #26
Does anyone have an exposure to the FiiO X3? I am also looking to replace an iPod (shattered glass). This player _sounds_ like it would cause eargasms, but I would like to hear from someone that has actually used it.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026016

Edit to add a link.

10 hour battery life makes it kind of pointless when you could just get a fiio amp or even just use a pair of headphones that doesn't need an amp.

real ipod competitor

Reply #27
Aside from price. Apparently, Android phones have a relatively low resale value, so you could get an older one for cheap.

The comment section on that Gizmodo article is what really makes me hate the internet and all of the dipshits who think their product-choices are relevant to life and define who they are.  Too many people can't just personally dislike a product, they have to evangelize and harass others...

@ penfold1992: have you looked into what it would cost to repair the jack on your existing iPod Touch?  (I actually talked to a guy about a year ago who fixed one himself.)
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

real ipod competitor

Reply #28
Does anyone have an exposure to the FiiO X3?

This is what a FiiO X3 owner had to say about it:

<JohnyB> the other biggest gripe i have is the ID3 tag indexing
<JohnyB> and this is a far bigger problem
<JohnyB> instead of listing tracks as artist>album>track, or album>track
<JohnyB> it only lists as artist>all tracks
<JohnyB> and album>all tracks
<JohnyB> furthermore, when you are doing artist>all tracks or just "all tracks", it doesnt pay attention to file order or any "meta sorting"
<JohnyB> that is, if i have 5 albums by the same artist
<JohnyB> it lists all of track 01's first
<JohnyB> then all the track 02
<JohnyB> only recently, they fixed an issue where it would list track 01 01 01 01 11 11 11 11 12 12 12 12 13 13 13 13 and then 02 02 02 02
<JohnyB> regardless of 0 padding the single digit track numbers
<JohnyB> no EQ support at all
<JohnyB> they have a bass increase function but thats it
<JohnyB> from what others have said, there is huge issues that crop up when you actually fill up a 64 gig microsd card
<JohnyB> IE it suddenly stops reading any files
<JohnyB> gapless playback only works for half the people
<JohnyB> granted, it has both line out and coax out
<JohnyB> but during coax out, the s/pdif connection is not kept alive when switching songs
<JohnyB> so even if you have gapless playback, you get a horrible click/blip whenever it goes to the next track
<JohnyB> because it kills the s/pdif handshake/connection while switching songs
<JohnyB> and then they refuse to release any sort of documentation for people who do want to try coding/fixing things themselves
<JohnyB> right now the best solution is to browse manually via sd card directory structure

Aside from price. Apparently, Android phones have a relatively low resale value, so you could get an older one for cheap.

Looking at local eBay prices, I'd rather say that Android smartphones have good resale value, and iDevices have high resale value.

real ipod competitor

Reply #29
10 hour battery life makes it kind of pointless when you could just get a fiio amp or even just use a pair of headphones that doesn't need an amp.

10 hours is 1 hour longer than a workday. If the sound quality is as good as advertised I want it.

Now after reading the comments from Skamp I can tell I do not want it. Oh well. It looked good on paper regardless of the errors due to language barriers.

I don't see how the fact that they are Chinese has anything to do with the quality of the device. Yes there are errors, but I have come to expect more from HA.

Edited after reading Skamp's post.
--
Eric

real ipod competitor

Reply #30
I'd be interested to try out mp3 players from Cowon.