Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling (Read 3299 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

I've heard that CPlay gains popularity for its sound quality. The point of quality is SSRC upsampling they say. 24bit, 192K is the default in cPlay. You can only hear at 24/192 in cPlay. There is no option. I tried cPlay but gave up for it horrible interface. And I use foobar 1.1x with SSRC plugin by otachan which I found at Japanese community.

In PC, upsampling is 'must' since the soundcard and system upsample 44.1K to 48K. But the result is horrble. Why not include SSRC as default plugin? foobar's default upsampler is not option. It's worse than upsampler of soundcard chip and OS. I've heard JRiver Media Center has better sound quality than foobar. I tried it and there was some points in that claim. JRiver also use SSRC. With SSRC plug, foobar shows very similar result to JRiver's.

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

Reply #1
I've heard that CPlay gains popularity for its sound quality.
Popularity is no indicator of quality in technical, artistic, or any other terms.

The point of quality is SSRC upsampling they say.
People say a lot of things.

foobar's default upsampler is not option. It's worse than upsampler of soundcard chip and OS. I've heard JRiver Media Center has better sound quality than foobar. I tried it and there was some points in that claim. JRiver also use SSRC. With SSRC plug, foobar shows very similar result to JRiver's.
Please follow #8 of our Terms of Service in backing up such otherwise-nonsensical claims with the results of double-blind listening tests. Otherwise your claims are unsubstantiated, probably based solely upon the placebo effect, and unwelcome.

I initially binned this without comment, but I decided it would be more productive to help you understand that such claims by others and by yourself are probably baseless and probably totally false. Why not test them for yourself and find out? In any case, do not continue to make them without abiding by ToS8.

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

Reply #2
Then I would suggest just one test. Just listen the same track with foobar's default upsampler and SSRC upsampler. Then you still claim it's just a blind and placebo? I cited other's to show it's not only my opinion. If you doubt still, just try my suggestion. Upsmapling is no small issue in PC environ. There are not much diference between otachan's SSRC and other player's as far as I've heard.

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

Reply #3
I am not the one who has made a claim and thus is obligated to provide evidence therefor.

Do so, or I will obey my first instinct to bin this without attempting to help you understand your faulty logic.

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

Reply #4
I am not the one who has made a claim and thus is obligated to provide evidence therefor.

Do so, or I will obey my first instinct to bin this without attempting to help you understand your faulty logic.

I give up. Don't waste time to argue there is real difference or placebo. It's just waste of time. WHo has the engineering background always use the word placebo without trying their own sense. So there is only parallel line in between. I don't know you have seen the specturms of foobar default upsampler and SSRC's and sound card's upsampler if you insist on the technological proof. They are the Sighting Placebo? Binning or not I don't mind. Anyway it's not that priority to me for I have what I want already(SSRC) and there are  other options with other players out there even if there is not foobar with otachan's . And I don't have the issue with soundcard for I don't use any sound card. I use upsampler to send upsampled data directly  to the external DAC. So I don't have the issue with OS or sound card upsmapling since I bypass them. I just posted this to help other but you say it wont. So I don't mind anymore. I'ts just waste of time

[TOS #8] SSRC Upsampling

Reply #5
Then I would suggest just one test.

The test you suggest is flawed, as it does not help to eliminate cognitive biases. That means that in a sighted comparison you tend to notice (even non-existing) differences. So try the test you suggest, but try if you still can tell the difference if you don't know what you are hearing to. You might be surprised - I certainly was when I first tried with Lossless VS (low-bitrate VBR) MP3.