Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does iTunes music folder management degrade quality? (Read 3579 times) previous topic - next topic

Does iTunes music folder management degrade quality?

Um I was just wandering if selecting “Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised” and “Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library” on the ITunes preferences would have any negative impacts on the music files – degrades their quality.

Reply #1
No. The second option will only copy the files to the default music directory of Windows (good for a machine with more than one user) and the first will (I never used this option) probably will create folders tag-based not altering the original, in both options.
Sorry for my bad english.

Reply #2
Darn, if only I could fit another line in my signature.

Reply #3
It DOES mess with tags however. My brother uses that option on his computer and when I was looking through his library once, all of the composer, publisher, and disc number tags were gone because he had his media automatically organized. I unchecked that option and added an album just to test it and it didn't happen again.

Reply #4
That is incorrect iTunes doesn't change tags at all.

Reply #5
iTunes DID automatically calculate and write Soundcheck data. It didn't really like "non-standard tags", IIRC. AFAIK, you have to enable Soundcheck manually now.