Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Text to speech component (Read 77790 times) previous topic - next topic

Text to speech component

I've just finished a little plugin that speaks aloud the artist and track whenever a new song starts. This is handy for when I'm in the shower and don't have access to my screen, but still want to know who's playing.

Is anyone interested in this? If so, I'll make it available.

Paulski

<edit>
Here is the url for foorbar 0.667: tts plugin

and for foorbar 0.7: tts plugin
</edit>

Text to speech component

Reply #1
Why not? Sounds very funny! If Peter has nothing against it, but why? 

Edit: I have got it! How does it work? I can't get it to work 
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

Text to speech component

Reply #2
After I have extracted the DLL to foobar2000 directory, I start my foobar.

but a dialog is popped up that the DLL requires MSVCR70.dll.

Could you pls let me download the run-time dll fr your site also?

Text to speech component

Reply #4
lol, this plugin is fun to use 
i just keep clicking on random songs to hear stuff
its even funnier cuz i have a lot of asian songs with romanized titles, and the pronunciations are completely funky 

Text to speech component

Reply #5
Excellent 

Would be cool if we could disable it in the prefs though.
(or maybe I'm dumb

Mat
Yatta!

Text to speech component

Reply #6
It is admittedly very basic at the moment. I'll add some prefs to it (especially the option to disable speech) and let you know when its updated. I'll also include the source code and the MSVCR70.dll file.

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #7
meischder - do you have the same problem as WavOX? If not, it may be that your system does not have not have a speech engine installed.
If you use windows XP, it should run "out of the box" using the SAPI 5.1 speech runtime binaries. Look at the "speech" options in the windows XP control panel to see if you have any voices installed and enabled.
If you use windows 2000 then you are using an older version of the speech runtime library (SAPI 4.1). I assumed that these versions are compatible from an API call point of view, but I will look into it to be sure.

Any older version of windows means that you may need to download and install the runtime environment for the Microsoft TTS engine yourself: Microsoft SAPI 4.

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #8
Hello!

I've just downloaded it and installed in Foobar2000 directory, I've got MSCR70.DLL installed. But this plugin does nothing.
There's no error messages, it's listed in components list in preferences.
Using win2k, Foobar v0.667

KosciaK

Text to speech component

Reply #9
Ok, I have found the problem: SAPI 5.x (the windows XP speech environment) is NOT compatible with SAPI 4 (win2K and earlier).
For now, I suggest only winXP users bother with the plugin until I get a win2k compatible version together.

<edit>
For win98/win2k users:
You could of course download the SAPI 5.x SDK which installs the compatible speech engine for SAPI 5 but this is 68 MB!!!!!
</edit>

I'll keep you posted

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #10
For XP users only: there is a new version of the plugin available that allows you to enable or disable speech output within foobar settings (TTS settings). See 1st post for link.

Text to speech component

Reply #11
I've found a nice link to the Microsoft speech 5.1 runtime files for windows 98 and windows 2000 systems. It's a 6 MB download:

sapi51 runtime install

Goto  www.aldostools.com for more info on how to install.

Have fun

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #12
I've just finished a little plugin that speaks aloud the artist and track whenever a new song starts. This is handy for when I'm in the shower and don't have access to my screen, but still want to know who's playing.

Is anyone interested in this? If so, I'll make it available.

What would be really nifty would be to implement this as an input plugin as well.

Text to speech component

Reply #13
Heh, I can swear that evil MS Sam is singing along on some tracks he announces.
It's when he goes 'Tricky - She makes me wana die', starting from 'makes' he's perfectly in synch with Martina's singing.
This is the only case so far, but I think he's adapting to do more. 

Nice plugin btw.

Text to speech component

Reply #15
I think it would be a nice feature to be able to hear the name of the song, before playback starts.
It's sometimes hard to hear what he says.

Text to speech component

Reply #16
Another nice feature would be the ability to specify what the plugin says.

Text to speech component

Reply #17
I'm already working on your last suggestion Canar, but I'm not sure what the advantage of using it as an input plugin is. Can you expand on that?
upNorth - I'm not sure if it's possible to delay playback of the audio until the speech has finished because I currently use the callback from foobar that a song has just started as a trigger to speak. Any suggestions?

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #18
I'm also wondering if its possible to get different voices. I had the SDK already and used a speech program to convert text to mp3's, and I used different voices for that. I'm sure its possible with this as well.

Text to speech component

Reply #19
I'm also wondering if its possible to get different voices. I had the SDK already and used a speech program to convert text to mp3's, and I used different voices for that. I'm sure its possible with this as well.

yes where i get nice voices?
i hate sam :/

Text to speech component

Reply #20
Go to the aldostools link I gave earlier. You can get Microsoft Mike and Mary using their installation. Although Mary sounds more like a castrated Mike, they're certainly better than Sam. I would love to get my hands on the AT&T natural voices engines - they sound soooo much more realistic, but you have to pay for them.

Text to speech component

Reply #21
Nice plugin, i like it, but it would be so much better if you'll add option to change the tts engine options...
like replace between female - male voices.. speed and such. thanks.

Text to speech component

Reply #22
There's an update that lets you choose a specific voice within the plugin.
Coming next: change voice rate, voice volume and text fields (3 of them) for specifying which tag fields (e.g. artist tag field) should be read aloud. Still thinking on how to speak the next track between songs (i.e. with no music playing until speech has finished). Maybe pause the track or turn down the volume until its finished speaking - I'll set it up as an option.

Paulski

Text to speech component

Reply #23
I'm already working on your last suggestion Canar, but I'm not sure what the advantage of using it as an input plugin is. Can you expand on that?

Just makes foobar a text-file-compatible audio player.  I've seen image viewers that were text-file compatible as well. Just an interesting idea, is all. Pure geek value. Like PC Speaker output. That would be cool.

Text to speech component

Reply #24

Just makes foobar a text-file-compatible audio player.  I've seen image viewers that were text-file compatible as well. Just an interesting idea, is all. Pure geek value. Like PC Speaker output. That would be cool.

Vocal remover, lyrics as input and you can have Sam sing your favourite tune...