Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Time stretching/pitch shifting without DSP (Read 16439 times) previous topic - next topic

Time stretching/pitch shifting without DSP

Reply #25
From what I understand of Wilson, he's not exactly objective when it comes to digital audio.  On the other hand he does use a Line 6 Pod.

and he does recognize that 'high resolution' is largely a marketing tool.

I do go on the forums sometimes, and I see there are those people who say CDs are low-rez, which is pretty crazy to me since I think CDs still sound pretty good, generally speaking. There’s a snobbery toward 44.1-kHz/16-bit; nothing but 96/24 will do now. Which is an amazing kind of mindshift, but that suits me fine. All of my Blu-rays are 96/24, and I’m recording that way too. Neil Young records at 192, which is insane.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/a...tening?page=0,2

fwiw, I've posted a thread about this to a forum where SW sometimes answers

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/sho...nal-mix-effects

Reply #26
It is possible to do analog pitch shifting although I doubt any TT on the market does.

Time stretch/compress without pitch changing can be done using a special tape playback device. Its all mechanical.  It uses one of the techniques that is used today, only implemented in the analog domain.

Basically, you chop the music up into snippets, and then string the snippets back together either some duplicated (time stretch) or all somewhat overlapped (time compress) while doing something like cross-fades to make the snippets sound like there are smooth transitions between them.

In the analog version, the snippets are obtained from the source tape using  tape heads on a fast-spinning drum.

I suspect that the bucket-brigade implementations did something similar, using the bucket-brigade in place of the tape.

Reply #27
so, just for giggles, using Audition 1.0 's 'pitch bend>turntable slowing down' effect I was able to come up with (IMO) a quite reasonable facsimile of the original 'slowing down ending' effect of ELP's "Knife Edge", applied to Steve Wilson's new two-channel remix (which does not have the effect).  Then I thought I'd try it on the multichannel remix, but immediately hit a wall, since Audition 1.0 doesn't offer that DSP in its multichannel mode.  It *looks* like Audacity *may* have such an effect, but so far i can't tell for sure simply from online documentation....anyone know?  Or know of a shareware/freeware editor that can do such variable pitch/time bending on multichannel (5.1) audio files?