Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple HomePod review with measurements (Read 1917 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple HomePod review with measurements

The HomePod is an interesting speaker for tech nerds, it has all this tech inside that tries to compensate for room and position. Go see the video at The Verge review for some snazzy animations. What I'm wondering, as probably others, is how much of this is hype.

One guy at r/audiophile did some measurements and came away impressed. I'm not saying that it's gonna replace big speakers, but if it's good enough, it's not such a bad price, especially considering the Google Home Max is more expensive and is going a slightly different route, with stereo linking (for which you'll pay another $400 and which makes the price even more ridiculous) and less of an emphasis on complicated room correction algorithms (though it still tries to do it). I don't know what's up with Google, but in their zeal to compete with Apple, in the past couple of years they ended somehow out-Apple-ing Apple with the value/price and that includes their phones. If someone told me I could buy either of these for a dollar, I'd likely choose the Home Max though, because the HomePod is too restrictive on what sources you can use.

I'm not endorsing either of these reviews, only thought some may be interested, and would like to discuss.

I would probably think about buying one on a sale, if only it had Bluetooth, or at least an input so I could connect a Chromecast Audio to it. Maybe version 2, as many things Apple version 1 is the one lacking in features.