Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Google Play - Music Match (Read 3986 times) previous topic - next topic

Google Play - Music Match

Hi all,

Are people finding that even quite commercial albums (but maybe from the 90s or earlier) are needed to be uploaded rather than matched with Google's service, unlike other matching services?

I am quite surprised by my experience. Even after the service running a while now, thus hopefully improving.

Reply #1
Do they say anywhere that they do matching?

Reply #2
They just started matching in parts of Europe but nowhere else as far as I know.

Reply #3
Google Music has never matched any of my content, I had to upload all of my songs and it took a solid week.  I eventually reached my song limit and have stopped using the service in favor of iTunes Match (mainly because I am in an iOS mobile world with my iPhone and iPad).  I would experiment with Google Music again to see if their matching capabilities are better than Apple's.

Reply #4
I know it matches in France, because I lowered the gain (before encoding, not with mp3gain) on my MP3s, and I got MP3s with gain untouched instead.

Reply #5
Seems to have  matched a lot of mine, unless somehow it's managed to upload 5k files overnight on a 700kbps upload connection.

Reply #6
I tried to delete the queue and the pointers to the local directories it was using the library, to see if that would "reset" the system to try again.
It did not even match Queen a kind of magic. I know there have been some reissues of that album. Mine probably dates from the mid 90s and the rip from the late 90s using music match jukebox (AFAIR).

@probedb - that seems quite impressive. Is that mainly whole albums, or was the matching track by track, like iTunes?

Reply #7
@probedb - that seems quite impressive. Is that mainly whole albums, or was the matching track by track, like iTunes?

I'm not sure how it does it? I wonder if it depends on how you've tagged stuff as well. It's slowed down now. I've also got 6 files so far which it says it can't upload and match for some reason. I'll check into those when it's finished, which might be today

Reply #8
I have 1 error file before I cancelled the process.
I have an old Tag&Rename tool that either uses CDDB (or now owns that, grace or something? or freedb?). I think manually tweak the album title slightly as required (eg if I US import when I live in the UK). But that will then have " - US" at the end.
But it did not match albums that were pain vanilla in their tags (Album, Artist, track and # all set).

Reply #9
It's slowed down now. I guess the first 5k tracks it found were all good. It's probably onto the obscure stuff now

Reply #11
ok, well I will try again in a month once others have done the hard uploading work (assuming that they use crowd sourcing to enlarge their own matching service with other tracks that other users have upped)