Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Moving to Europe, phono preamp (Read 5878 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving to Europe, phono preamp

I'm moving to France and my Artcessories USB Phono Plus v2 is 110-60 only. Can anyone recommend another Phono pre-amp I can use that is commonly used in Europe?
Thanks!

Reply #1
The thing uses a wall wart. Surely there are 10,000,000 9V output wall warts kicking around France.

Reply #2
I'm moving to France and my Artcessories USB Phono Plus v2 is 110-60 only. Can anyone recommend another Phono pre-amp I can use that is commonly used in Europe?
Thanks!

From the manual:
"The USB Phono Plus operates from any external power source that provides 150mA or more @ 7 Volts to 12 Volts DC (either polarity at the tip will work with our unit) or 9 Volts to 12 Volts AC.
The USB To Computer connector is USB 2.0 compliant and should be used to connect directly to one of the USB connections on your computer. This connection also powers the USB circuitry inside the USB Phono Plus and will power the whole product if no other power source is available."

Now all you need is to be sure the plug of the new transformer you buy is the right size. You might want to bring the US  transformer along (the "wall wart") as a reference. The current output  should be a minimum of 150 milliAmps, but it is fine to greatly exceed that if such transformers happen to be easier to find.

I'm not sure if your local Radio Shack would have such a thing but I would think that one of the provided plugs of this universal transformer will most likely work, especially since yours is so flexible it doesn't even care what the polarity of the plug is (meaning whether the outer shield is positive or negative in relation to the center pin):

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-ACD477-100-240V...M/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Reply #3
The thing uses a wall wart. Surely there are 10,000,000 9V output wall warts kicking around France.

10,000,001 to be precise! 

If you're in the Paris region try going to the "Bazar de l'Hôtel de Ville" in the rue de Rivoli (BHV). It's a handyman's paradise.

BTW Welcome to France!

Reply #4
Thanks guys. I didn't realise I'd just need a wall wart made in Europe for the right voltage.
And Frenchy, thanks for the BHV suggestion. I will definitely be visiting when we arrive.

I just need to now make completely sure that I know what I'm looking for.

Reply #5
Is it alright to use a switching power supply, which are becoming ubiquitous, with a phono preamp (in general)?

Reply #6
Going along with my issue about the preamp, which I now know only needs a new wall wart, it now occurs to me that I may have an issue with my actual turntable.
I have a Pioneer PL-300. Here's the bizarre thing: it says 50/60 Hz on the back but only 120V. Does that mean, I don't have to worry about frequency as long as I have the step down converter for the 220V power?

Reply #7
In the old days when turntables used synchronous motors, the speed was proportional to the line frequency. These days I would be surprised if that was the case.