Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless Compression (Read 26787 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless Compression

Reply #25
Guys guys guys... (gals?) ... all of 'em compress closely enough that size isn't much of an issue.  If speed is the issue, then look at that.  If cross-platform compatibility (whatever OS you use) is the issue, then look at that.  Whatever is the main issue for you, if any!

For purposes of trading between a wide variety of systems, FLAC makes the most sense... right now.  Any or all of these encoders could go cross-platform in the future, if they get popular enough.  Given, open source is a benefit too, but IMHO not critical for encoding/decoding purposes (if you like programming...)

As for FLAC becoming the defacto standard, I wouldn't count on it.  The "best" rarely gets to be the standard, in the real world -- other factors (like popularity & blind chance) determine success.  So all of us might be doing some re-encoding a few years from now, cuz *the* format might not have been invented yet.

Lossless Compression

Reply #26
@l3maniac: btw, why doesn't flacdrop support dropping directories on it?

Lossless Compression

Reply #27
I just have to update the benchmarks because the previous ones sucked... First of all, I had an application running in the background which sucked processing power like a spunge in a glass filled with water, and second of all, the compression/time "calculations" weren´t really useful...

Green

Lossless Compression

Reply #28
... various benchmarks ...

This is very nice, but pointless. Yes, Monkey's Audio is the best Windows only music compression algorithm, but we already knew that.

Any or all of these encoders could go cross-platform in the future, if they get popular enough

It doesn't work like that. Closed file formats almost always tend to stay closed, unless you get a large enough group of people together to reverse engineer them. And, given that we have a 'good enough' format in FLAC, there is no motivation to reverse engineer the Monkey's Audio or whatever files formats. As for relying on the people themselves to open the format / port the software - there are many cases that show that this mostly doesn't happen.

I think you can all stop arguing now.

Lossless Compression

Reply #29
Hmm... I've NEVER seen FLAC take THAT long to compress anything... for me it's usually just a few seconds w/ -8...

Perhaps the fact that it's at 48kHz is causing the problem. I'm gonna do some tests of my own with FLAC and see if I can't pin it down...

Lossless Compression

Reply #30
Well, I played with it, and as it turns out, FLAC is just slow as hell with -8.  I didn't notice that before, since I just use it from EAC / Grip, and do it in the background.

It is a touch slower compressing a file resampled to 48kHz than the standard 44kHz. But still.

However, I wonder how much optimizing could be done to FLAC. It's written to be portable... but I wonder what it would do to compile it with some scary opt flags, Intel compiler, whatnot... I think I'll jack with it a bit...

Eh, anyway, I still like it, so there.

And being **extremely** portable, and Open Source, I don't have to think about it becoming abandonware (plus, I can't run Monkey, LPAC, or WAVPACK on OpenBSD or OSX...). And since there is already hardware player support for FLAC, who knows?...

Anyway, speed isn't as relevant to me as compression (good) and availability (best), but I would like to see FLAC get a better score on speed anyway...

Lossless Compression

Reply #31
It seems very reasonable to me that Project Mayhem is standardizing on FLAC -- that's as it should be, since it enables everyone to unpack samples.

However, at the present time, I don't think the same attitude should necessarily extend to individual archiving.  Right now, use what you like best (and can use), and wait for the lossless formats to "shake out."

FLAC could definitely stand some optimizing, and i don't want to use it yet for personal archiving.  Monkey's Audio seems to be totally closed & proprietary (maybe even headed in the direction of ad-ware), and I don't want to use that either... for me, LPAC is a good compromise -- at least until FLAC gets better optimized.

Lossless Compression

Reply #32
Originally posted by Jon Ingram

This is very nice, but pointless. Yes, Monkey's Audio is the best Windows only music compression algorithm, but we already knew that.

No, you get the best ratio (lossless audio compression) with OptimFrog (windows only).

about lossless audio compression: imho is more important reliable than compression (and Monkey is not reliable).

Bye, dB

Lossless Compression

Reply #33
I tried OptimFrog last month and was completely unimpressed.
1. It did NOT make smaller files than Monkey.
2, No winamp plugin.
3. You want to talk SLOW???

Lossless Compression

Reply #34
Originally posted by layer3maniac
I tried OptimFrog last month and was completely unimpressed.
1. It did NOT make smaller files than Monkey.

I talked about compression ratio only 

Monkey's Audio 3.95a1 (extra high)
OptimFrog 4.1 (extra mode (3)/speedup 2)

- Jan Hammer - New York Theme.wav (39838220 bytes)
  Jan Hammer - New York Theme.ape (25439204 bytes)
  Jan Hammer - New York Theme.frog (25267935 bytes)
- Don Henley - Dirty Laundry.wav (59733788 bytes)
  Don Henley - Dirty Laundry.ape (36158676 bytes)
  Don Henley - Dirty Laundry.frog (36022617 bytes)
- Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme.wav (36526604 bytes)
  Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme.ape (20015312 bytes)
  Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme.frog (19935864 bytes)
- Depeche Mode - Little 15.wav (45675884 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - Little 15.ape (22299092 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - Little 15.frog (22182411 bytes)
- Depeche Mode - The Things You Said.wav (42837020 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - The Things You Said.ape (21479016 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - The Things You Said.frog (21382759 bytes)
- Depeche Mode - Strangelove.wav (53943164 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - Strangelove.ape (29087544 bytes)
  Depeche Mode - Strangelove.frog (28807726 bytes)

.......and OptimFrog is a very very young app.
However i'm a happy flac (much more reliable than Monkey) user:
-8 -V is my sign 

Bye, dB

Lossless Compression

Reply #35
Well, I've done some tests regarding 24 and 32bit samples:

Monkey's Audio, LPAC and WavPack managed to successfully compress 24bit files.

But FLAC, Shorten and Frog failed... :/

None of the programs above managed to compress 32 bit files (tested various types with cool edit; float, packed int, etc...)

Among the lossy encoders; LAME & mppenc did both 24 & 32bit, OggEnc did 32bit but failed on 24bit(!)...

Lossless Compression

Reply #36
The audio input in ogg is only set up for 8 or 16 bit integer and 32 bit float. It should fail on anything else!

john33

Lossless Compression

Reply #37
Originally posted by madah
Well, I've done some tests regarding 24 and 32bit samples:

Monkey's Audio, LPAC and WavPack managed to successfully compress 24bit files.

/But FLAC, Shorten and Frog failed... :/

None of the programs above managed to compress 32 bit files (tested various types with cool edit; float, packed int, etc...)

Among the lossy encoders; LAME & mppenc did both 24 & 32bit, OggEnc did 32bit but failed on 24bit(!)...

The current flac encoder does not support 32 bits per sample, but the FLAC format does.  24 bit should work fine though, can you provide more details on that?

Originally posted by Sachankara
Update:

Monkey's audio 3.95a1
WavPack 3.93
flac 1.0.2
LPAC 1.40

Still using Madonna´s song "Frozen" in 48kHz, 16 bit stereo LPCM... 58,3 MB (61 160 516 bytes)

As far as Sachankara's comparison, one sample does not tell you all that much.  If you are a jazz or classical or death metal listener your average results might be quite different.  No one has done what I would consider a comprehensive comparison.  I think the one on the FLAC page (limited though it is) is the only one that even crosses genres.

But when you look at it, most codecs are within a couple percent on compression.  And as long as encoding speed is reasonable it shouldn't be such an issue because you only do it once.  If you are talking about archiving your audio for all eternity, in a way that will give you the greatest access to it, with peace of mind that if the format dies you can still get back your data, I don't see how you can be comfortable with a closed format.

If you compress all your stuff with joe-windows-only-codec and the author dies, and Windows XXXXP DLL hell breaks your codec binary, and you have to decode to wav on an old machine and reencode to joe-open-codec, how much time is that going to take you?  Probably longer than it would have compressing with slightly slower joe-open-codec in the first place.

Josh

Lossless Compression

Reply #38
Originally posted by jcoalson
The current flac encoder does not support 32 bits per sample, but the FLAC format does.  24 bit should work fine though, can you provide more details on that?

For this test I created two wavs with Cool Edit. The first one was saved as "24-bit packed int (type 1 - 24bit)" and the second as "24-bit packed int (type 1 - 20bit)".

I tested flac 1.0.2. When I tried to encode the first one it gave me "ERROR: unsupported bits per sample 24".
The second gave "ERROR: unsupported bits per sample 20"...

Lossless Compression

Reply #39

If you compress all your stuff with joe-windows-only-codec and the author dies, and Windows XXXXP DLL hell breaks your codec binary, and you have to decode to wav on an old machine and reencode to joe-open-codec, how much time is that going to take you?  Probably longer than it would have compressing with slightly slower joe-open-codec in the first place.

Josh

This doesn't help you so much if you can't compile the source on
your operating system and you do not find out why. Or it uses
special tools to prepare compiling. For a lot of software packages
it is not a problem to spend some days until the project compiles
and the programs are working.

Open source is not a full guaranty for your files. Maintainers are
still needed, otherwise you have the same problem as with closed
source projects. Source compiles but crashs on 64 bit CPUs or
128 bit CPUs. On Linux 5.0.34. You're ******.

You can have exactly the same problems. May be a guru
cares about your program and maintains it after the original
author "died", but this can happen or not.

Take a fresh installed Linux which never saw a FLAC developer
before and then try to compile the current FLAC source.
A good way to test portability is to compile the source
on alien computers by aliens.

Other problem. If you doing exactly the things in lines 9...15
of the online help (--help) you get corrupted files on Windows.
This means the online help describes how to cook files.
Please correct this problem as soon as possible. This bug is fixed
in LPAC (1.36), Shorten (3.4) and some other programs.

And this bug is a problem introduced by C, not by Windows,
Mac OS, VMS, ...
--  Frank Klemm

Lossless Compression

Reply #40

Josh

Currently all lossless coders (except LPAC) do a very bad job
on PCM files with missing codes. This can be:

- 20 bit PCM data
  - DAT longplay PCM
  - 16 bit PCM coming from µLaw or A-Law
  -  9...15 bit, 17...23 bit PCM
  - PCM which was amplified/attenuated again after 16 bit quantization (this is a very dirty thing, but common on current main stream CDs)

The worst is 9 bit PCM and 8 bit PCM in a 16 bit PCM file.
Here it can happens that a FLAC or Monkey's Audio file is
2 or 3 times larger than LPAC. For 20 bit the difference is
typically between 15 and 20%.
--  Frank Klemm

Lossless Compression

Reply #41
WavPack does optimally compress 17-23 bit PCM data, and will optimally compress 20-bit PCM whether or not it is indicated as such in the header. Older version would handle 9-15 bit PCM, but I found that virtually no program would even read such files, so this was dropped at some point.

I have considered recognizing missing codes because I have also seen them in commercial CDs, but it can be time consuming (I would be surprised if LPAC does this in its fast mode) and usually doesn't gain anything. Also, if amplification is done with dither (which it should be!) then missing codes won't be generated at all.

There is a new beta version of WavPack available that has a new high mode available in both lossless and hybrid modes that achieves compression more comparable to LPAC and MAC. For lossless, the old high mode has become the default and the old default has become the fast mode. There were also two bugs fixed (one involving very long filenames and one with decoding WavPack files earlier than version 3.0). The new modes are not yet supported by the winamp plugin and the docs are not updated, but this should all be done shortly. If anyone is interested it is available here:

www.wavpack.com/wp394b.zip

Cheers…

Lossless Compression

Reply #42
Originally posted by Frank Klemm

Take a fresh installed Linux which never saw a FLAC developer
before and then try to compile the current FLAC source.
A good way to test portability is to compile the source 
on alien computers by aliens. 

That is very true.

I once tried compiling Mppdec on BeOS (Not that I would use it, but Frank mentioned in his page that he was looking for decoder binaries, and I wanted to help).

I downloaded all possible source packages (at that time there were many), and tried to compile them all. With or without ASM.

Unfortunately, GCC started flooding me with errors. I tried to see if I could fix them, but to no avail.

I gave up.

Of course, now, there is a BeOS decoder. But maybe there wouldn't be. (BeOS is officialy dead, and Be Inc. is out of business)

So, open source is, indeed, not a guarantee that your can use the program on every plataform.

Regards;

Roberto.

Btw: I couldn't compile FAAD on BeOS either. But I don't care anymore, my FreeBe loopback file is gone for good.

Lossless Compression

Reply #43

Josh

Jeesh, if you're gonna make an argument in favor of open source / codecs and against windows-only stuff, at least make it a good one...

Lossless Compression

Reply #44
Jeesh, if you're gonna make an argument in favor of open source / codecs and against windows-only stuff, at least make it a good one...

Good point. The issue isn't about open/closed code, the issue is about open/closed file formats. Do I mind that almost all the Windows ZIP compressors are closed source? No, because I have the file format specification, so no matter what system I use in the future, I can write a decoder.

In many open source projects, the source itself doubles as the file format specification. This isn't ideal - certainly not as good as a seperate specification, but is light years better than a closed file format which can't be decoded without reverse engineering.

For archival purposes, you need to rule out any closed file formats. You also need to be suspicious of formats with no formal documentation, only source code (the source code may be buggy, or otherwise badly written). The specification is much, much more important than the actual performance of the encoder/decoder.

FLAC is has good documentation of some parts of the format (the streaming layer in particular), and adequate documentation of others (through the source code). This is currently the best you can do. Monkey's Audio, LPAC, and the fifteen million other undocumented file formats, are found to be unsatisfactory at the very first step.

Thus, if you're looking for an archival lossless file format, FLAC is currently your best option.

Lossless Compression

Reply #45
I'm a little bit confused about something and please bear with as I haven't done much lossless encoding (though I have d/l'ed several albums in .ape format and was pleased with how fast and easy it was to decompress 'em so I could encode to mpc). So my question is why the different compression settings that were mentioned? If it's lossless it's all going to sound the same no matter whether you use regular, high or very high compression right?So why would it be recommended that I not encode to Money Audio using very high compression to get the smallest file possible?
To me, clowns aren\'t funny. In fact, they\'re kinda scary. I\'ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. -- Jack Handy

Lossless Compression

Reply #46
Originally posted by Jon Ingram
Good point. The issue isn't about open/closed code, the issue is about open/closed file formats. Do I mind that almost all the Windows ZIP compressors are closed source? No, because I have the file format specification, so no matter what system I use in the future, I can write a decoder.

YOU can, but I can't.
What good it does if I have all the format specs, but can't write a line of code, and no one else (specially programmers) is interested in the format?

In this aspect (I.e: formats for people that don't have programming skills), I would rather stick with some format that has become mainstream, or backed up by a large corporation (Like DWG, by AutoDesk) rather than some open and  rarely used counterpart. (Obs: OpenDWG hasn't completely reverse-engineered DWG yet, so it's not really an alternative)

For archival purposes, you need to rule out any closed file formats. You also need to be suspicious of formats with no formal documentation, only source code (the source code may be buggy, or otherwise badly written). The specification is much, much more important than the actual performance of the encoder/decoder.

Again, I don't agree. It's like wishing the world was made only by ISO formats, with excellent docs and specs. It simply isn't like that, and, frequently, you have to stick with closed formats to do archival. If not music archival, Image archival, Document archival, General data archival...

It's a case of being sensible enough to choose what best suits your needs, choose a format that won't likely die, and hope that it doesn't happens. If a format dies, you aren't a good programmer, and no one else uses that format, than there's nothing you can do.

Regards;

Roberto.

Lossless Compression

Reply #47
Originally posted by Rant
So why would it be recommended that I not encode to Money Audio using very high compression to get the smallest file possible?

Where did you read that? 

I didn't find it in the thread.

Anyway, I don't agree. I believe you should always use the best compression in Lossless files.

No one has done what I would consider a comprehensive comparison. I think the one on the FLAC page (limited though it is) is the only one that even crosses genres.

Well, I like Robin Whittle's page on lossless compression. It's quite a good comparision (Although a bit outdated, and Flac isn't compared to others), with various different musical genres. And Rkau is a clear winner, with better results in 10 out of 12 tests (9 out of 11, of you want to leave out pink noise)

And that leads to a question: If Rkau is better than the others, why isn't everyone using it?

It's not just because it is closed, or it's slow. The general people simply don't care about what's best (And don't care about closed/open source). 
They will use what's easier for them. And, at this moment, the easier is Monkey.

Regards;

Roberto.

Lossless Compression

Reply #48
What good it does if I have all the format specs, but can't write a line of code, and no one else (specially programmers) is interested in the format?

Then I can pay someone to write a decoder. Given full documentation of a file format, it wouldn't be that difficult, particularly if you were only looking to decode files.

In this aspect (I.e: formats for people that don't have programming skills), I would rather stick with some format that has become mainstream, or backed up by a large corporation (Like DWG, by AutoDesk) rather than some open and  rarely used counterpart.

This is inapplicable. FLAC is not rarely used, and there is no monopoly or traditional supplier of other lossless compression formats.

It's a case of being sensible enough to choose what best suits your needs, choose a format that won't likely die, and hope that it doesn't happens.

I quite agree - and the needs for archival are, first and foremost, that you will be able to retrieve your data. Companies come and go very frequently, and the overwhelmingly popular closed formats of one generation (wordstar, wordperfect), become obsolete, archaic, and eventually unreadable, unless there is information out there about the file formats.