Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: USB Sound Card for my specific needs (Read 3685 times) previous topic - next topic

USB Sound Card for my specific needs

Hi, I'm currently researching for a USB external sound card that can suit my specific needs. I have a Benchmark DAC-1 that I would like to use as a D/A converter, so I need one with digital outputs.

That's the relatively easy part. Now, for the hard stuff :

Since DAC-1 is only stereo, would you suggest that I get a card that can do 5.1 DVD/Gaming surround stuff? I'm thinking of using DAC-1 for the front and using the soundcard's analog output for the others. Or maybe, I can just use the analog output and use another (cheaper) 5.1 system? I don't need pristine sound quality for gaming (most of the SFX and music in games are pretty bad to start with).

What are my options?

Reply #2
But which one has bit-perfect out via digital out?

Reply #3
But which one has bit-perfect out via digital out?

Anything that does not resample i.e. that supports both 44.1 and 48kHz S/PDIF. Select a few that are in the price bracket that you want and send an email to the manufacturers.

Reply #4
Hi, I'm currently researching for a USB external sound card that can suit my specific needs. I have a Benchmark DAC-1 that I would like to use as a D/A converter, so I need one with digital outputs.

That's the relatively easy part. Now, for the hard stuff :

Since DAC-1 is only stereo, would you suggest that I get a card that can do 5.1 DVD/Gaming surround stuff? I'm thinking of using DAC-1 for the front and using the soundcard's analog output for the others. Or maybe, I can just use the analog output and use another (cheaper) 5.1 system? I don't need pristine sound quality for gaming (most of the SFX and music in games are pretty bad to start with).

What are my options?

See my post on 12/10/2006...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=50912

First, I had a heck of a time finding a card that I could do pure bit-for-bit transfer with.  Most cards just don't advertise this as you probably discovered.  I used the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card because I found, buried in their website, that they have a switch to set for bit-for-bit transfer and a switch for 44.1K.  However, this does not mean that is really is doing this.  For example, just putting an equalizer or even a volume control in the path screws with the bit stream. 

So just in case, I de-installed their mixer/volume/equalizer control software via Windows XP's control panel (the ability to do this is buried in some XP menus).  I did this after I installed the card and you can't change anything as there are no controls for it.  Sorry to those I am about to offend: most folks don't really understand what happens inside the card and I discovered that listening is the only way to be sure.  Some folks will shoot from the hip and say that having every control set to 0 leaves the stream alone but I found this not to be always true.  I found that any manipulation of the bit stream results in a serious reduction in sound quality so it is pretty easy to tell.  I think this is so because these cards do such a lousy job of it.  To be completely honest so you know where I am coming from, I haven't tried many cards. 

Anyway, check out my post on my audiophile set up.  I just finished it and am curious to get some feedback.

Reply #5
The fact that there are no controls in a particular control panel doesn't mean you are getting bit perfect output. The standard for exclusive output (necessary for bit-perfection) to a sound card is ASIO. Others are vista's exclusive mode (not yet supported by software), xp's kernel streming (not quite a proper interface but it works someties). But if you want to trust creative then by all means do so.