Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC joined Xiph.Org Foundation (Read 6253 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC joined Xiph.Org Foundation

FLAC lossless audio compressor is now part of the Xiph.Org Foundation.
The official announcement can be found here:

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/flac.html
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
nice, I hope good things will come out of this.
For example fixing the lib, which is horrible. 

Reply #2
For example fixing the lib, which is horrible.  :blink:

Please elaborate...

Reply #3
Good News! Any chance for multiencoder (Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, Ogg FLAC in one) like WMA9 has (for lossy and loseless)? And one decoder? I suggested John33 to make Frontend and encoders as dlls HERE.

BTW. I saw some guys on #flac channell on xiph irc server 

Reply #4
Good stuff.  Congrats Josh!

Reply #5
In laymans' terms, what does this mean exactly for the future of FLAC? In Emmett's comments, apart from moving the mailing list & websites, there's no substantial plans. Does this mean that FLAC files will end in .ogg?

Reply #6
Cool,

My favorite Lossless and Lossy codec's all residing and coperating under one front.

World dominated and the end of closed, restrictive and patented audio compression is imenant. Xiph will  "Strike down upon thee with great vengance and fury" , those who do not follow these ideas 

Good one Josh and the Xiph team. 

On another note, Josh , willl this entail any new changes, priorites or faster deleloppment for the FLAC project, or is it mainly an association, publicity and hosting benefit? ( Not that there is Anything wrong with that!)

Kristian

PS.
I'm in an OTT mood hence my blown up comment! Just messin, no need to slate me about it!! 

Reply #7
FLAC lossless audio compressor is now part of the Xiph.Org Foundation.
The official announcement can be found here:

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/flac.html

Sweetttt 

Open - Free Source RULEZZ 
still LAME 3.96.1 --preset extreme -q 0 -V 0 -m s at least until 2005.

Reply #8
Fantastic! I 've just got to get used to the idea that ogg is not just vorbis... hell, i think i'll manage 

Reply #9
nice. 

Reply #10
In laymans' terms, what does this mean exactly for the future of FLAC? In Emmett's comments, apart from moving the mailing list & websites, there's no substantial plans. Does this mean that FLAC files will end in .ogg?

Native FLAC and Ogg FLAC will still continue to exist in their current forms, as each has its own advantages for a particular application.  Ogg FLAC files will still end in .ogg, and native FLAC in .flac.

What this will do is give FLAC first-class status as a codec within the Ogg project and hopefully lead to better integration in Ogg tools.  Right off the bat I'd say there's potential in streaming FLAC in Icecast, or muxing FLAC with a video stream (maybe Huff-YUV should join Xiph too  ).

Josh

Reply #11
Cool, but i heard that some FLAC algorithms are covered by patents... i hope they'll remove thoose issues !!!

Now Xiph lacks on video codecs: Tarkin is in planning stage, Theora is alpha (even if they released the test suite) and the rumors about Tobias' join are still not made official.

I have proposed to Ben Rudiak-Gould to join the Xiph project with his lossless video codec called Huffyuv.

BTW, seems that open and free formats forces are becoming more powerful every day: now the problem is to convince some "altarnative" industries (KiSS Technology, for example) to adopt them "like standards" for the manufacturing of home entertainment equipments (portable, car, standalone players) and medias.
In this case DRM could be a sort of aid...

DRM Restrictions Lay Broken And Scattered Across The Battlefield
Like Brown Leaves Blown By The Wind

Reply #12
I have proposed to Ben Rudiak-Gould to join the Xiph project with his lossless video codec called Huffyuv.

Very good idea.

HuffYuv is a Windows based codec. There is only a Video for Windows ( VfW ) interface for it, and its mainly used from Virtualdub ( another Windows/VfW based tool ) for capturing.

You care enlightening me how the two projects should work together ?

Also, please dont forget :

Ben might ask Xiph people ( including FLAC, Speex, etc. ) to join his HuffYuv project also. Vorbis can still dream of the widespread use HuffYuv has for capturing, especially in conjunction with Virtualdub.

Reply #13
Well... i've just proposed (mailed) to them... if you are in deep touch with someone at Xiph, please report it to him !

And what about Ullrich Hafner ?
(He was the developer of FIASCO, a very interesting fractal video codec.)

Reply #14
Great! Vorbis, Speex, Flac, Theora, Tarkin, Ogg Media (Tobias comfirmed that he has joined Xiph)... All now part of xiph.

And what about Ullrich Hafner ?
(He was the developer of FIASCO, a very interesting fractal video codec.)

There is already tarkin-w3d in CVS, the results seem to be compareable. Tarkin is quite good for still pictures, at the same filesize I tested tarkin, jpeg and jpeg2000. tarkin was the best (at least in that one picture), also it´s not tuned at all yet. (long time ago: http://www.everwicked.com/forums/showthrea...33&pagenumber=2 )
About huffyuv, I heard long time ago, that the author has stoped his work, he is also the author of AviSynth, which now gets developed by other people. Huffyuv doesn´t use special thing, you could simply create a new Huffman-video compressor which is Huffyuv compatible.