Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME -h switch (Read 6342 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME -h switch

Out of curiosity (once again), I wonder what LAME -h switch REALLY improves? The documentation only says "-h: Use some quality improvements" but it doesn't say specifically what it is.
sin(α) = v sound/v object = Mach No.

LAME -h switch

Reply #1
try --longhelp

Code: [Select]
Noise shaping & psycho acoustic algorithms:
  -q <arg>        <arg> = 0...9.  Default  -q 5
                  -q 0:  Highest quality, very slow
                  -q 9:  Poor quality, but fast
  -h              Same as -q 2.   Recommended.
  -f              Same as -q 7.   Fast, ok quality
"I hear it when I see it."

LAME -h switch

Reply #2
Are the -q and -V switch similar?

LAME -h switch

Reply #3
Are the -q and -V switch similar?

Not really.

The -V switch sets the desired audio quality, and the algorithm then uses the minimum bits to achieve that quality. By varying the -V switch you get a wide range of quality and bitrate.

The -q switch controls how much processor time is spent sqeezeing every last bit of quality for the available bits. Its effect on processor time is significant, but its effect on quality and file size is relatively small. Since you only encode once, and since processor power is cheap, there is no reason anymore to use anything other than the default -q value.

LAME -h switch

Reply #5
@pdq: Thanks! I see it now more clearly. The default -q value which is -q 2 is always enabled when using VBR. The -q 2 is the same as -h, right? I get it now, Hehe.. Thanks again! 

LAME -h switch

Reply #6
Correct. I believe the -q5 default is from an old version, however; I was under the implication that -q2 was the default for both CBR and VBR encoding now.

LAME -h switch

Reply #7
I was under the implication that -q2 was the default for both CBR and VBR encoding now.

vbr-new and vbr-old/CBR use the q switch differently. There are only two quality settings for vbr-new, and I believe it's separated as q 0 - 4 are all the same, and q 5 - 9 are also all the same. Regardless of which q numbers map to which mode, the higher of the two quality settings is enabled by default, so there is no reason to specify the q switch when using vbr-new.