Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Zinf mp3 player & the Xing Decoder (Read 4112 times) previous topic - next topic

Zinf mp3 player & the Xing Decoder

http://www.zinf.org

I heard about this small but simple mp3 player from a friend. while i was reading throught stuff i noticed it said that the mp3 decoder is based upon the Xing. Now is that any good? I heard/know that the Xing Encoder is junk, but what about the decoder? This is gonna be for me mom's computer w/some generic CompUSA PCI sound Card & cheap Midiland 2.1 Speakers, so i doubt she can hear the difference correct?

Reply #1
I was about to point you to David Robinson's MP3 decoder comparison page, but apparently his university has blown away his account. Does anyone have a cached version of his site? I'm sure this site will answer your question, edekba.

Of course, the variation in MP3 decoder qualities is much less than the variation in encoder qualities. I also don't remember reading anything hideous about Xing's decoder on the above-mentioned site; I could be totally making this up, but I think it was rated as "good" (on a scale from "poor" to "very good"), so for a non-cricital application, like mom's computer, I wouldn't worry about the Xing decoder.

And if nothing else, you can do a quick listening test comparing the Xing decoder with the modern Winamp decoder and see if there are any real quality issues.

Reply #2
I was about to point you to David Robinson's MP3 decoder comparison page, but apparently his university has blown away his account. Does anyone have a cached version of his site?

yea ... i would love to read that. Hopefully somone did

thanks SW. heh Xing sounds ok ... through this pOs pci sc & speakers .... + not really playing nething really critical i guess. I am just being curious

Reply #3
I have a mirror of his replaygain site at least (it may be his entire site but I'm not sure yet..).  I plan on trying to put it online somewhere if David doesn't have any objections... (?)

Reply #4
Don't know about current Zinf versions (they couldn't figure out a name any worse than this?), but in the Free*mp days their homepage had a statement that they used a modified Xing decoder.