Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Comparison of all recent Windows versions (Read 3734 times) previous topic - next topic

Comparison of all recent Windows versions

In the german "c't magazine", issue 23/2002, there's a very interesting table with a comparison of recent Windows versions. I thought this would be valuable for those of you who plan to install a new OS soon, so i scanned it, translated it and uploaded it:

Comparison table: Windows (PNG, 500 KB)

Remember, this is taken from the c't. There's a big article around this, so if it interests you, buy the mag!

Reply #1
To avoid some unnecessary confusion, this refers to integrated tools that come with the OS, not third-party tools!
(Because someone asked me why they listed "DVD-player" etc.)

Reply #2
I have a big heap of c'ts lying around but don't have the time to read them 

Judging from my own experience system protection is very poor with all OS's. A big fat double minus. There is a lot of room for improvement.

Reply #3
Some parts make no sense:

DOS compatibility: 2000 gets a -- and XP gets just a -

All DOS compatibility was removed on XP, it's impossible to run a 'real' DOS app on it, contrary to Win 2000.

Reply #4
Garf: what do you mean by "real DOS app" - I thought that all MS operating systems  with NT kernel (NT 3.x, 4.x, 2k, XP) run  16-bit DOS apps  under  NTVDM  CPU emulation layer  ("virtual dos")?  I think this is not changed in XP, or am I wrong?

Reply #5
Garf: what do you mean by "real DOS app" - I thought that all MS operating systems  with NT kernel (NT 3.x, 4.x, 2k, XP) run  16-bit DOS apps  under  NTVDM  CPU emulation layer  ("virtual dos")?  I think this is not changed in XP, or am I wrong?

XP no longer supports 'real DOS' apps. They simply removed all legacy support.

Reply #6
then why do they run fine here? (albeit slowly compared to under dos-based win9x's)

Reply #7
Maybe they don't use the parts of the legacy support that was removed.

The app I'm thinking of is a 32-bit DOS application though - maybe the 16-bit stuff still runs, I don't know.

I do know for sure XP DOS support is worse than Win2K's - it nearly put my current employer out of business because a part of revenue was still being generated from a DOS application. It didn't and will never run under XP (Win2K was fine) and when contacting Microsoft the answer basically was 'Hahaa, sucks being you'